Today, we will begin to look at the third generation – identifying the grandchildren of Benjamin Parker.
Benjamin Parker had five children with first wife, Maria Wilson. All events are in the West Isles (Deer Island or Campobello) unless otherwise noted. Given the gaps in birth years, it is possible there are other unidentified children.
Robert Wilson Parker, born c1813 and named for his maternal grandfather, Robert Wilson; died before 1861: married Jerusha Wilson, 19 March 1838, Eastport, Washington, Maine. Jerusha was born c1816 and died 18 March 1889. In 1861, “Jourisha Packer” is head of household and a widow.
1. Melvina, born c1838; died 1871-1881; married Charles W. Newman, 28 February 1860, Eastport, Washington, Maine. They were the parents of five children – Robert L., Amelia/Miranda, George Mark, Maria Allina and Charles.
2. Maria, born c1840; not found after 1851 census.
3. Son (name smudged in 1851 census), born c1842
4. Amanda, born c1845; not found after 1871, at home and unmarried.
5. Lucy, born c1847; not found after 1861, at home and unmarried.
6. Mary, born c1849; married Leonard Newman, 8 November 1875, New Brunswick, Canada.
7. Robert, born 1851, 3 months old in census; died after 1871, when he was at home and unmarried.
8. Caroline, born c1854; died 4 October 1870.
Sarah Ann Parker, born 1817; died 24 January 1900, Calais, Washington, Maine; married Daniel Adams of Deer Island, 15 September 1836, Deer Island, New Brunswick, Canada. Daniel was born November 1810; died 8 February 1893, Calais, Washington, Maine.
1. Benjamin William, born November 1837; died 2 June 1914, Lubec, Washington, Maine; married Mary Ellen Thayer, 21 January 1861, Lubec, Washington, Maine.
2. Emeline M., born 1840; died between 1910-1920, possibly Massachusetts; married Loring Benoni Bill, 22 November 1866, Calais, Washington, Maine.
3. Calvin Segee, born 15 March 1843; died 15 January 1921, St. Stephen, new Brunswick, Canada; married (1) Martha Maria Tillinghast, 12 December 1869, Bristol, Bristol, Rhode Island (2) Nellie F. Tarbox, 1 February 1875, Calais, Washington, Maine.
4. Charles Edward, born c1846; died c1865; unmarried.
5. Frances Caroline, born c1848; died after 1930, probably Lynn, Essex, Massachusetts; married James George Cragen, 13 February 1889, Calais, Washington, Maine.
6. Nelson James, born 2 June 1850; died 2 December 1918, Calais, Washington, Maine; married (1) Annie M. Stickney, c1880 (2) Hannah Elizabeth Olive, 21 September 1904, Charlotte, New Brunswick, Canada.
7. Angeline Jane, born c1852; died after 1930, probably Los Angeles, California; married (1) Sturgis A. Thomas, 23 August 1886, Calais, Washington, Maine (2) Samuel Henry Conroy, 22 April 1906, Somerville, Middlesex, Massachusetts. Annie has no known children.
8. Bertha M., born c1857; died after 1870; no further record.
9. Lowell Robert, born c1861; died 23 March 1954, Everett, Middlesex, Massachusetts; married (1) Charlotte May Ward, 5 April 1887 (2) Grace Barnes, 29 June 1908, Concord, Merrimack, New Hampshire.
Eliza J. Parker, born c1822; died between 1891-1901, probably Deer Island, New Brunswick, Canada; married Robert Rogerson, c1843. He was born c1808, Scotland; died 17 March 1860, Deer Island, New Brunswick, Canada.
1. John, born 27 January 1844; died 16 July 1924; married Henrietta Cline, 11 May 1867. They were the parents of eight children – John R., Sarah L., Caroline, Charles Albert, Mary, Annabelle, Eliza and Martin Luther.
2. Jane Elizabeth, born c1846; died after 1920, possibly Portland, Cumberland, Maine, when she lived with son Carroll and his wife; married Daniel Buhot, c1871. They were the parents of three children – William E., Minnie Merton and Carroll Vernon.
3. James, born 1849; died 8 February 1926, New York, New York; married Rebecca Cline, c1876. She was born c1853; died 1898. They were the parents of two children – Cora May and Robert B.
5. Elvira, born c1854; died 13 January 1934, Fairville, St. John, new Brunswick, Canada; married Daniel Joy Wilson, c1880. They were the parents of nine children – Lulu S., Charles H., Grace C., Lena L., LeBaron R., Percy C., Princess (Pansey) Florence, Georgia Rosamond and Burpee Hazen.
Frances (Fannie) Parker, born c1823; died between 1891-1901, probably Campobello Island; married Thomas Mathews, c1843. He was born c1826; died between 1891-1901. The
1 James F., born c1847; not found after 1861.
2. Cecilia Jane, born 1849; died ; married John Mitchell, date unknown, but before 1871 census. If she was the mother of all the children, then she was only about 16 when she married John. Cecilia was the mother of all the children born after Charles. They were the parents of seven children – Sarah Roberta, Thomas, Charles, James, Caroline Frances, Benjamin and Maria Euphema.
Maria Parker, born c1828; died between 1891-1901; married (1) Luther Brown, 2 January 1856. Luther was born 1828; died 9 March 1856, just 2 months after marriage. (2) John Mathews, 22 February 1864. He was born c1828; died between 1891-1901.
- Martin Luther, born 27 November 1856; died 4 April 1884; unmarried.
This completes the grandchildren descended from Benjamin Parker and his first wife, Maria Wilson.
2 thoughts on “Benjamin Parker of Campobello Island: 3rd Generation, Part 2”
Interesting to see the movement back and forth across the Canada/US border – almost as though it didn’t exist!
There really wasn’t any border in that area at that time. Everyone knew each other, on both sides of the water, and there were many Maine people with Loyalist ancestors whose descendants still lived in Canada. My grandmother said the girls used to walk across the bridge to buy candy and then hide it in their skirts!