This is part of a series about my New England colonial ancestors who arrived by during the Great Migration. If you have early Massachusetts ancestry, be sure to check out AmericanAncestors, as the Great Migration Study Project can be viewed there with a membership to the New England Historic Genealogical Society.
James Bate was baptized on 2 December 1582 in Lydd, Kent, England, the son of James Bate and Mary (Martine?) and died between 22 November 1655, when he wrote his will, and 19 January 1656, when it was recorded in Suffolk County, Massachusetts.
James Bate married Alice Glover on 13 September 1603 at Saltwood, Kent, England. She was born c1583 and died on 14 August 1657 in Dorchester, Suffolk, Massachusetts. It appears that Alice was baptized on 27 October 1583 at Maidstone, Kent, England, the daughter of William Glover.
They are my 9X great grandparents.
Her brother, William, left a 1608 will in Kent, England naming her as Alice Bate, along with their brother John, plus a number of nieces and nephews mostly under the age of 21 years.
James was one of only a handful of my colonial ancestors who ever saw England again after he emigrated, as James made one return trip to England in 1648.
James, Alice and their children sailed in 1635 on the Elizabeth and made their home in Dorchester, Suffolk, Massachusetts, where his occupation was husbandman, or farmer.
Children, all baptized in Lydd:
- Thomasine, baptized26 May 1605; buried 6 April 1606, Lydd, Kent, England.
- William, baptized 9 July 1607; buried 29 September 1625, Lydd, Kent, England.
- Richard, baptized 12 November 1609; died before 3 April 1657, England; married (1) Susan Isham, 3 June 1633, Kent, England (2) Ellen Wallis, 18 April 1637, Harbledown, Kent, England. Richard remained in England when his family emigrated.
- Thomasine, born c1614?; buried 16 April 1624, Lydd, Kent, England.
- Mary, baptized 21 November 1619; died 5 January 1702/03, Dorchester, Suffolk, Massachusetts; married Hopestill Foster, c1639, probably Dorchester, Suffolk, Massachusetts.
- Margaret, baptized 16 September 1621; married Christopher Gibson, c1655, probably Dorchester, Suffolk, Massachusetts.
- John, baptized 4 May 1623; buried 15 September 1625, Lydd, Kent, England.
- James, baptized 19 December 1624; died 6 July 1689, married Hannah Withington, c1648, probably Dorchester, Suffolk, Massachusetts. They removed first to Haddam, Connecticut and then to Huntington, Long Island, New York.
My line of descent:
1. James Bate & Alice Glover
2. Hopestill Foster & Mary Bate
3. James Foster & Anna Lane
4. Robert Spur & Jemima Foster
5. John Spur & Rebecca Blackman
6. Joseph Coleman & Ruth Spur
7. Thomas Coleman & Mary Elizabeth Astle
8. William Coleman & Sarah Moriah Crouse
9. Hartwell Thomas Coleman & Anna Elisabeth Jensen
10. Vernon Tarbox Adams & Hazel Ethel Coleman
11. George Michael Sabo & Doris Priscilla Adams
12. Linda Anne (Sabo) Stufflebean – Me!