Edward and Joanna Winn are two of my 11x great grandparents who were the immigrants from England or possibly Wales, as the jury is still out on their origins.
Edward Winn was born c1601. Joanna (MNU) was born c1604. Both estimates are based on the estimated birth year of 1626 for their first known child.
Joanna Winn survived only a few years after their c1640 arrival in the Massachusetts Bay Colony. She died on 8 March 1649 in Woburn, Middlesex, Massachusetts, where the young family settled.
Edward Winn married (2) Sarah Beal (1603-1680) on 10 August 1649, in Woburn and (3) Hannah Page, c1681.
Edward died the year following his third marriage, in Woburn, on 5 September 1682.
Edward and Joanna had five known children, but only the youngest was born in Massachusetts. Given the gaps in the birth years of their children, they likely buried several who died young before they left for Massachusetts.
- Ann, born c1626; died 6 May 1682, Woburn, Middlesex, Massachusetts; married Moses Cleveland, 26 September 1648, Woburn, Middlesex, Massachusetts.
- Elizabeth, born c1628; died 2 May 1695, Woburn, Middlesex, Massachusetts; married George Polley, 21 May 1649, Woburn, Middlesex, Massachusetts.
- Sarah, born c1636; no further record
- Joseph, born c1639; died 22 February 1714/15, Woburn, Middlesex, Massachusetts; married Rebecca Reade/Reed, c1664.
- Increase, born 5 December 1641; died 14 December 1690; married Hannah Satwell, 13 July 1665, all in Woburn.
Increase Winn also became an important part of the history of Woburn, as he was the first child born to the settlers of the newly established town.
Edward Winn left a will, dated 1682, which is recorded in Middlesex County, Massachusetts Will Book Volume 6:111. It is file number 25242. However, the file online only includes a note as to where his will is located. I haven’t been able to find an image of it, or even a transcription to share.
If anyone has an image, a transcription or even an abstract, please share. 🙂