This is part of a series about my New England colonial ancestors who arrived by during the Great Migration. If you have early Massachusetts ancestry, be sure to check out AmericanAncestors, as the Great Migration Study Project can be viewed there with a membership to the New England Historic Genealogical Society.
Thomas Boyden was a 21 year old young man when he left Ipswich, England in April 1634 on the Francis and sailed to Massachusetts Bay Colony. His English origins haven’t yet been determined, but through associates in his FAN (friends, associates, neighbors) club, it is believed he hailed from Essex or Suffolk Counties, England. No obvious relatives made the voyage with him.
Thomas Boyden was born c1613, undoubtedly in England. He married (1) Frances (MNU), c1638. Frances is the mother of all his children. She died on 17 March 1657/58 in Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts. He married (2) Hannah (Phillips) Morse, widow of Joseph Morse, 3 November 1658, Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts. Hannah also predeceased Thomas, passing away on 3 October 1676, Medfield, Norfolk, Massachusetts.
Thomas was a planter, or farmer, and a carter (one who drives wagons to transport goods) by occupation. He died sometime after 15 April 1678, when he donated a bushel of wheat to help rebuild Harvard College.
He and Frances are two of my 10X great grandparents.
Only two of his five known children appear to have lived to adulthood and left descendants.
- Thomas, born 26 November 1639, Watertown, Middlesex, Massachusetts; died 15 November 1719, Groton, Middlesex, Massachusetts; married Martha Holden, by 1667.
- Mary, born 15 October 1641, Watertown, Middlesex, Massachusetts; no further record.
- John, baptized 21 April 1650, Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts; no further record.
- Jonathan, born 21 February 1651/52, Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts; died 30 May 1732, Medfield, Norfolk, Massachusetts; married (1) Mary Clark, 26 September 1673, Medfield, Norfolk, Massachusetts (2) Anne (MNU), c1712, who survived him.
- Sarah, born 12 October 1654, Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts; no further record.
My line of descent:
- Thomas Boyden & Frances (MNU)
- Thomas Boyden & Martha Holden
- Josiah Lakin & Lucy Boyden
- Jonathan Green & Sarah Lakin
- Samuel Scripture & Mary Green
- James Scripture & Sibbel Shepley
- Oliver Scripture & Mary Goddard Bucknam
- George Rogers Tarbox & Mary Elizabeth Scripture
- Calvin Segee Adams & Nellie F. Tarbox
- Charles Edwin Adams & Annie Maude Stuart
- Vernon Tarbox Adams & Hazel Ethel Coleman
- George Michael Sabo & Doris Priscilla Adams
- Linda Anne (Sabo) Stufflebean – Me!