Today we are back on the documented track of a new family, unlike my meandering through the Dingmans over the last three days.
Michael Miller married Elizabeth Hendricks about 1837. I’ve never found a marriage record for them, which is a bit surprising because the two families lived in Muhlenberg and Warren Counties. Both have intact marriage records for that time period.
Michael Miller was born on 20 February 1815, Muhlenberg County, Kentucky, the son of Martin Miller and Catherine Whitmer. Elizabeth Hendricks was born on 3 March 1818, probably in Warren County, Kentucky, the daughter of Joseph Hendricks and Mary Lewis.
They left Kentucky for Texas about 1855 and settled near Sulphur Springs. Michael died there on 24 October 1880; Elizabeth predeceased him, passing away on 21 October 1875. Many in this family are buried at the Conner Cemetery in Dike, Hopkins County, Texas.
They were the parents of ten children:
- Mary Catherine, born about 1838, Muhlenberg County, Kentucky. She is probably the Mary C. Miller who married Henry Conner on 29 October 1856, Hopkins County, Texas as his second wife. Henry F. Conner was born 10 April 1810, Indiana and died 18 June 1863, Hopkins County, Texas. If this is the correct couple, then Mary married (2) James H. Buckhart, c1865, and the family removed to Alabama, Columbia County, Arkansas by 187, where the family was a blend of three Conner children and two Buckharts. They haven’t been found after 1870. Mary and James may have both died before 1880, as her son Joseph is living with a Conner relative and her son John H. was living with Louisa and John Williams, both back in Hopkins County, Texas.
- Sarah J., born 24 March 1841; died 12 April 1930; married Charles M. Sparks, 13 December 1859, all in Muhlenberg County, Kentucky.
- Louisa, born 21 September 142, Muhlenberg County, Kentucky; died 22 June 1883, Hopkins County, Texas; married John Christopher Williams, 13 September 1871, Nevada County, Arkansas.
- Wilson Turner, born 16 February 1844, Muhlenberg County, Kentucky; died January 1870, Hopkins County, Texas; married Lucinda M. Voss, 18 May 1865, Hopkins County, Texas.
- James L., born c1846, probably Muhlenberg County, Kentucky; died after 1860.
- Joab, born 19 February 1848, Muhlenberg County, Kentucky; died 28 October 1910, Hopkins County, Texas; married Sabra Frances Drake, c1865.
- Leonard, born 5 January 1850, Muhlenberg County, Kentucky; died after 1860.
- Jacob, born c1854, probably Muhlenberg County, Kentucky; died after 1860.
- Benjamin F., born 1856; died 1889; married Mary Ellen Marrs, 5 November 1874, all in Hopkins County, Texas.
- Elizabeth, born c1858, Hopkins County, Texas; died after 1870.
The only photo I have of any of this family is one of Louisa Miller Williams, taken probably not long before she died.
Louisa Miller Williams
The Miller family has many descendants and I believe some are in Texas and Oklahoma. If you are part of this clan, please leave a comment.