Edmund Farrington, my 10X great grandfather, left a will when he died in 1667 in Ipswich, Essex, Massachusetts.
Some wills are long and complicated, but Edmund’s family was small and his is one of the shortest wills I have found for any of my ancestors.
I Edmond ffarington Being sike of Body But of perffect memory Imp I bequeth my body to the Earth and my Soull to god who gaue it And my Estat in this world as followeth Imp. I give to my wiff Elizabeth my half of my land and Corn mill durring Her naturrall liff and to my Son Mathue [ffarrington] After Her deceas Itt I give all my moueables to my wiffe It I giue my Sone Edward ffarrington Twenty shillings to be payd [him] After my deceas Itt I give to my Sone Roberd terry twenty shillings to be paid [him] After my deceas Itt I give to my daughter Elizabeth ffuller ten pounds to be payd her affter my deceas I make my Sone Mathuw ffarington my Excequtor of this my last will and testyment to wich I sett my hand thes day and year abou written.
Edmond (E – his mark) ffarington
Witness Nathanill Kirtland, John [his mark] (no surname)
Proved at Ipswich Court on 28 March 1671 by Nathaniell Kirtland Sr.
His will is found in the Essex County Probate Files (Massachusetts), Docket 9274.
My line of descent from Edmond Farrington:
- Edmond Farrington & Elizabeth Newhall
- Matthew Farrington & Sarah
- Sarah Farrington & John goddard
- Giles Goddard & Hannah Pratt
- Mary Goddard & James Bucknam
- Joses Bucknam & Abigail Hay
- Mary Goddard Bucknam & Oliver Scripture
- Mary Elizabeth Scripture & George Rogers Tarbox
- Nellie F. Tarbox & Calvin Segee Adams
- Charles Edwin Adams & Annie Maude Stuart
- Vernon Tarbox Adams & Hazel Ethel Coleman
- Doris Priscilla Adams & George Michael Sabo
- Linda Anne Sabo Stufflebean – me!