A couple of days ago, I shared newly found information about Richard Stufflebeam and wife Polly Patrick, who left Kentucky for a new life in Madison County, Arkansas about 1853 and their children.
Richard Stufflebeam is a bit of a mystery in terms of how he made his living. Most censuses give his occupation as farmer, but, and this is a big but, the only records I can find of Richard owning any land are for a few years in Owsley County, Kentucky, when the tax lists show him taxed on 50 acres of land and in Madison County, Arkansas, the census shows him with real estate valued at $500 and personal estate at $300 in 1870. He owned no real or personal estate according to the 1860 census.
In addition, the Madison County deed indexes show no entries for Richard Stufflebeam buying or selling land.
Vital records are not extant until 1901 for marriages and later for births and deaths. Madison County probate records up to 1893 have no entries at all for any Stufflebeams.
Richard isn’t found in any of the Chancery Court records up to 1890 either. He apparently lived a quiet life, farming either on rented land or for other land owners.
When he and Polly died might forever remain a mystery. They were unable to read or write, so there won’t be any family Bible to discover either.
However, Richard and Polly were the parents of seven children and grandparents to at least 50 who survived to adulthood, so there are many descendants today.
Today, I will share information about half of the grandchildren.
William Asbury, who married Rebecca Reed:
1. Perlina Jane, born 26 January 1862; died 10 April 1945, Hempstead County, Arkansas. She married Jonathan Robert Skelton, 10 April 1880, Washington County, Arkansas. Perlina’s mother, Rebecca Fraley, lived with the family in 1910.
Children, all born and married in Washington County, AR:
1. James Robert (1881-1957; married Sibbie Myrtle Shackelford (1887-1947), 5 September 1902. Parents of 10 children.
2. Rebecca Elizabeth (1882-1962); married William Franklin Fields (1877-1936), 27 March 1908. parents of 2 children.
3. George Sherman (1884-1886)
4. Henry Eli (1887-1986); married Fay Anderson (1895-1976), 25 September 1910. Parents of 10 children.
5. John Harrison (1890-1975); married Mary Ellen Schader (1894-1987), 25 December 1910. Parents of 5 children.
6. Julia Burnette (1893-1965); married Calvin C. Stout (1889-1965), 28 July 1912. Parents of 4 children.
7. Lula Bell (1895-1975); married Elmer Stout (1895-1992), 13 September 1913. Parents of 6 children.
8. Walter Dewey (1897-1985); married Nellie Stout (1900-1987), 27 April 1917. Parents of 7 children.
9. Neala (1900-1901)
10. Altie Leona (1902-1981); married Otis D. Sutton (1896-194, 23 October 1920. Parents of 10 children. The Suttons left Arkansas for Texas and live in Tom Green County in 1935, Kimble County in 1940 and Altie died in Kerr County.
had one daughter, Perlina Jane, born 26 January 1862; died 10 April 1945, Hempstead County, AR. She married Jonathan Robert Skelton, 10 April 1880, Washington County, Arkansas. They were the parents of eleven children.
James Anderson, who married Permelia Irene Milsap:
1. Joyce Bethaney (1871-1930+, probably Harper County, Kansas); married (1) Charley Stroud, c1886 (2) William A. Lewis (1817-1900+), 13 December 1902, Monroe County, Arkansas (3) Henry Monroe Kelley (?-died before 1910, probably Pratt County, Kansas (4) William Franklin Pittman (1864-1902). Bethie lived with William (not a typo, he was 83) in 1900 in the Cherokee Nation, Indian Territory and they didn’t marry until 1902, his children and her three Stroud daughters. Joyce had three daughters with Charley: Zelda (born c1889), Sarah (born c1891) and Lucinda (born c1893), three children with William Lewis: Bertha (born c1898), Richard D. (born c1901), Fox Taylor (born c1903), all in Oklahoma and one son, Peter M. (born c1909) Kelley. Parent of 7 children.
2. William Edward (c1873-1950); married Frances Elizabeth Frost (1902-1992), 30 April 1917. This family moved to Oklahoma and then to California. Parents of 8 children.
3. Elizabeth, born c1875; died after 1880; no further record.
4. James?, born c1876. Could the 1880 census taker have confused the children? No further record is found for James. This should be Joseph Houston, born 12 March 1876; died 20 August 1948, Daviess County, Indiana; married Ida Frost, 17 September 1905, Madison County, Arkansas. His Indiana death certificate names his parents as Anderson and Irene and his birthplace as Madison County, Arkansas. Parents of 8 children.
5. John Calvin (1878-1949); married (1) Alpha Evans, 25 March 1900, Polk County, Arkansas (2) Maggie Payne, 22 December 1903, Howell County, Missouri. This family moved to Oklahoma and theback to Arkansas. Parents of 5 children.
6. Franklin (1879-?). The 1880 census shows Franklin, born March 1880. Frank married (1) Gillie McKenzie, 24 February 1901, Washington County, Arkansas. They had four children and divorced before 1920. Frank married (2) Rilla May (Knowles) Long (1888-1953), 21 July 1926, Harper County, Kansas and then moved to Adair County, Oklahoma. He reportedly died in 1954.
7. Permelia Sirena (c1882-1920); married George W. Gardner, 23 December 1901, Washington County, Arkansas as his second wife. They had no children together. George’s first wife was Sarah F. Stufflebeam, daughter of John Media Stufflebeam.
8. Thomas (1887-1920+); unmarried in 1920 when he lived with the Gardners in Creek County, Oklahoma.
9. Mattie Melcenie (18901-1974); married Thomas Calvin Combs (1883-1966), 2 October 1905, Washington County, Arkansas. Parents of 8 children.
Jacob Greenbury, who married Sarah A. Patrick:
1. Wiley (1869-1943); married Ida Belle (MNU); This family lived in Dallas, Texas. Parents of 3 sons.
2. Richard (1870-1900+). He was unmarried at home in 1900. Parents moved to Hill County, Texas 1910 and he was not with them. No further record.
3. John (1872-1880+); no further record.
4. George Washington (1874-1924); married Harriet Naomi Payne (1877-1976), c1894. This family moved to Pauls Valley, Oklahoma. Parents of 7 children.
5. David Franklin (1879-1951); married Pearl Anna Faubus (1892-1966), 10 December 1905, Madison County, Arkansas. Parents of 8 children.
6. William Morgan (1881-1952); married Delia Jane Massey (1884-1966), 4 October 1903, Madison County, Arkansas. They moved to Muskogee County, Oklahoma. Parents of 7 children.
7. Herman, born 1884 and died after 1920 census when he lived in Carroll County, Arkansas; married Edna May Holloway (1885-1980), 29 May 1904, Madison County, Arkansas. Edna married (2) Moffitt Ervin before 1930, when they lived in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Parents of 3 children.
8. Niney Otis (1886-1937); married Ether Shockler (1892-1984), 20 August 1908, Johnson County, Texas. Parents of 5 children.
9. Tennie Mae (1888-1945); unmarried. Lived with her brother David in 1940; unmarried.
10. Shem (1892-1931); married Jewel Reed, 6 July 1927. In 1930, they had no children and Shem’s mother Sarah and sister Tennie were living with them. Jewel isn’t found after 1930.
11. Jacob G. (1894-1952); married Laura B. Summers (1902-1979), c1921, probably in New York. Parents of 2 children.
Tomorrow, we will look at the children born to the youngest four children of Richard and Polly – John Merida, Houston Patrick, Perlina Alice and Hiram Edward.