This is part of a series about my New England colonial ancestors who arrived by during the Great Migration. If you have early Massachusetts ancestry, be sure to check out AmericanAncestors, as the Great Migration Study Project can be viewed there with a membership to the New England Historic Genealogical Society.
Thomas Lynde was born c1597, possibly in Bedfordshire, England, where he last lived before settling in the Massachusetts Bay Colony by 1634. He is one of my 11X great grandparents with his first wife. Her name is not certain, but it seems probable that she was the Hannah Line, buried in Dunstable on 11 December 1631.
Thomas Lynde married Hannah? (MNU), c1621, possibly in Bedfordshire, England. Thomas and his first wife had a sad life for the following decade. Although their son, Thomas (my 10X great grandfather), was born c1622, and lived to adulthood, they buried at least three children and possibly four by the time Hannah died and their youngest son Zachariah was buried only a couple of months after her.
- Thomas, born c1622, probably Bedfordshire, England; died 15 October 1693, Malden, Middlesex, Massachusetts; married Elizabeth (MNU), c1646.
- ?Hannah, born c1623; buried 16 July 1628, Dunstable, Bedfordshire, England.
- Richard, baptized about 30 November 1625, Dunstable, Bedfordshire, England; no further record.
- Rebecca, baptized 21 February 1626/27, Dunstable, Bedfordshire, England; no further record.
- ?Hannah, born c1628; buried 14 May 1629, Dunstable, Bedfordshire, England
- Mary, baptized 24 February 1629/30, Dunstable, Bedfordshire, England; died after 1693, probably Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts; married (1) John Butler, c1649 (2) William Weeks, after 1658.
- Zachariah, baptized 9 October 1631; buried about February 1632, both in Dunstable, Bedfordshire, England.
Thomas married (2) Margaret (MNU) Jordan, widow of Henry Jordan, 27 November 1632, All Hallows London, England. There is some controversy and confusion about Margaret’s maiden name and details about Henry Jordan’s life discussed in the Great Migration Study.
They were the parents of five more Lynde children:
8. John, baptized 29 March 1634, Dunstable, Bedfordshire, England; no further record.
9. Joseph, born 3 June 1636, Charlestown, Suffolk, Massachusetts; died 29 January 1726/27, aged about 91 years; married (1) Sarah Davison, 29 March 1665, Charlestown, Suffolk, Massachusetts (2) Emma (Anderson) Brackenbury, 24 December 1679, Charlestown, Suffolk, Massachusetts (3) Mary (Luttrell) Winthrop, 13 March 1705, Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts.
10. Sarah, born 14 April 1639, Charlestown, Suffolk, Massachusetts; died after 12 July 1694, when she posted bond as administratrix of her husband’s estate; married Robert Pierpont, 18 February 1656/57, Charlestown, Suffolk, Massachusetts.
11. Hannah, born 2 May 1642, Charlestown, Suffolk, Massachusetts; died 29 December 1690, of fever, Charlestown, Suffolk, Massachusetts; married (1) John Trerice, 3 September 1663, Charlestown, Suffolk, Massachusetts (2) James Kelling, 12 December 1679, Charlestown, Suffolk, Massachusetts.
12. Samuel, born 14 October 1644, Charlestown, Suffolk, Massachusetts; died before 11 March 1680/81, when inventory of his estate was recorded; married Rebecca Jenner, 3 June 1673, Charlestown, Suffolk, Massachusetts. She married (2) Robert Luist, 6 April 1682, Charlestown, Suffolk, Massachusetts.
One Henry Lynde died on 9 April 1646 in Charlestown. However, it is thought he might actually have been Henry Jordan, Margaret’s son with her first husband, and not a Lynde child.
Thomas Lynde married (3) Rebecca (MNU) Trerice, widow of Nicholas Trerice. They had no children together.
In 1638, Thomas Lynde, innkeeper, was licensed to sell “wine and stronger water” in Charlestown. He left a will proved on 2 February 1671/72; his estate after debts was sizable, worth £1700. ($100, not pounds sterling, from 1672 is worth about $6500 in today’s money.) He did well in life, accorded the title of Master by the time of his death.
My line of descent:
- Thomas Lynde & ?Hannah (MNU)
- Thomas Lynde & Elizabeth (MNU)
- John Lynde & Mary Pierce
- Thomas Lynde & Lydia Green
- Peter Hay & Lydia Lynde
- William Hay & Phebe Brown
- Joses Bucknam & Abigail Hay
- Oliver Scripture & Mary Goddard Bucknam
- George Rogers Tarbox & Mary Elizabeth Scripture
- Calvin Segee Adams & Nellie F. Tarbox
- Charles Edwin Adams & Annie Maude Stuart
- Vernon Tarbox Adams & Hazel Ethel Coleman
- George Michael Sabo & Doris Priscilla Adams
- Linda Anne (Sabo) Stufflebean – Me!