This is part of a series about my New England colonial ancestors who arrived by during the Great Migration. If you have early Massachusetts ancestry, be sure to check out AmericanAncestors, as the Great Migration Study Project can be viewed there with a membership to the New England Historic Genealogical Society.
Richard Woodward was born c1589, England. Rose (MNU) Woodward seems to have been several years older than her husband if her age at death (80 years) is correct. She would then have been born c1582, also in England. They were married sometime before 1619, when their first known child was born.
Richard Woodward and his wife, Rose (MNU), made the decision to leave England and head to the New World in 1634, sailing on the Elizabeth from Ipswich, Suffolk, England.
They settled in Watertown, Suffolk, Massachusetts Bay Colony the same year, where his occupation is noted as a miller. Their English origins haven’t been identified, in spite of online information saying Ipswich or even Lancashire, England. However, Amos Woodward of Colchester, Essex, England left a bequest in his 1665 to children of his uncle Woodward living in New England. That might point to an Essex origin for Richard and Rose, but further research needs to be done.
There are only two known children of Richard and Rose who survived to adulthood. It seems like that they may have had other children who died young in England.
“Rose Woodard,” wife of Richard, died on 6 October 1662 in Watertown, Suffolk, Massachusetts. Richard married (2) Ann (Neave) Gates, widow of Stephen Gates, after they recorded a marriage agreement on 18 April 1663. However, Richard didn’t live long after that, dying in Watertown on 16 February 1664/65. He and Ann had no children together.
- George, born c1619; married (1) Mary (MNU), c1640 (2) Elizabeth Hammond, 17 August 1659, Watertown, Suffolk, England.
- John, born c1621; married (1) Mary (MNU), who died 8 July 1654, Sudbury, Middlesex, Massachusetts (2) Abigail (Benjamin) Stubbs, widow of Joshua Stubbs, after 1654.
Richard and Rose (MNU) Woodward are two of my 10X great grandparents.
My line of descent:
- Richard Woodward & Rose (MNU)
- John Woodward & Abigail Benjamin
- John Woodward & Susannah Grout
- John Woodward & Saphira Moore
- Robert Wilson & Mary Woodward
- Robert Wilson & Dorothy Holmes
- Benjamin Parker & Maria Wilson
- Daniel Adams & Sarah Ann Parker
- Calvin Segee Adams & Nellie F. Tarbox
- Charles Edwin Adams & Annie Maude Stuart
- Vernon Tarbox Adams & Hazel Ethel Coleman
- George Michael Sabo & Doris Priscilla Adams
- Linda Anne (Sabo) Stufflebean – Me!