We are moving along through the states at a fairly rapid pace now. Today, we have the Big Sky state of Montana.
1. While every county in the state is listed, links are only provided for titles that no longer fall under U.S. copyright laws. All (almost) links connect to free websites.
2. There are a few instances when a book has been digitized, but is only found on a paid site. In that case, no link is inserted, but a note as to the website where it has been found is given.
3. When a state history has also been found in digital format, it is listed in the STATE section that precedes the county list. I have limited STATE entries to those with county histories/biographical volumes in them.
4. There are a number of counties that DO have histories written, BUT they remain copyrighted material. Therefore, if a county has NONE after its name, it doesn’t mean there is no county history, just that none has been digitized. It’s also possible that the only digitized county history is included in one of the state volumes, so be sure to check those entries.
5. If the book is on FamilySearch, you will need a free account to access it. This list does NOT include town histories.
6. When all fifty states have been completed, I will post a PDF of them all.
7. One last note – it is very possible that a book is digitally available on more than one website. I’ve only included links to one site per book.
STATE – An illustrated history of the Yellowstone Valley: embracing the counties of Park, Sweet Grass, Carbon, Yellowstone, Rosebud, Custer and Dawson, Western Historical Publishing Company, Spokane, Washington, 1907.
STATE – An illustrated history of the state of Montana: containing a history of the state of Montana from the earliest period of its discovery to the present time, Joaquin Miller, Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago, 1894.
STATE – The Montana Blue Book: A biographical Historical and statistical book of reference, John W. Pace, Horace J. Mock, Journal Publishing Company, Helena, Montana, 1891.
BEAVERHEAD – Sons and daughters of Montana pioneers: Beaverhead County’s pictorial tribute to the pioneers, Sons and Daughters of Montana Pioneers, Dillon, Montana, 1963.
BIG HORN – NONE
BLAINE – In the land of the Chinook, or, The story of Blaine County, Montana, Alva Josiah Noyes, State Publishing Company, Helena, Montana, 1917.
BROADWATER – NONE
CARBON – NONE
CARTER – NONE
CASCADE – A Century in the foothills, 1876-1976: a history of the Eden area, Cascade County, Montana: a history of Black Butte, Calvert, Eden, Giffen, Pleasant View, and Red Butte, Eden Area Historical Committee, Great Falls, Montana, c1976.
CHOUTEAU – Trails, Trials and tributes, Egly Country Club, Chouteau County, Montana, 1958.
CUSTER – NONE
DANIELS – A brief historical review of life and times on the northern Montana prairies: Homesteaders Golden Jubilee and Daniels County Fair, July 28 thru August 1, 1913-1963, dedicated to the pioneers and homesteaders, Homesteaders Golden Jubilee Association, Scobey, Montana, 1963. [FamilySearch Film, 928401, Item 2]
DAWSON – NONE
DEER LODGE – NONE
FALLON – NONE
FERGUS – NONE
FLATHEAD – NONE
GALLATIN – Early history of Gallatin County, E. Lina Houston, Bozeman, Montana, 1933.
GALLATIN – Gallatin County’s heritage: a report of progress, 1805-1976, Merrill G. Burlingame, Gallatin County Bicentennial Committee, 1976.
GARFIELD – Garfield County, the golden years, Volume 2, Jessie M. Shawyer & Fern E. Schillreff, Jordan, Montana, 1969. *Volume 1 not found.
GARFIELD – It is good to remember, Elsie Forbes Childs, Helena, Montana, 1976.
GLACIER – NONE
GOLDEN VALLEY – Dawn in Golden Valley: a county in Montana, American Yearbook Company, Visalia, California, 1971. [FamilySearch film 1035944, Item 5]
GRANITE – NONE
HILL – Tumbleweeds and tar paper shacks, Minneota Friendly Club, 1971.
JEFFERSON – NONE
JUDITH BASIN – NONE
LAKE – NONE
LEWIS AND CLARK – NONE
LIBERTY – NONE
LINCOLN – NONE
MADISON – NONE
MCCONE – NONE
MEAGHER – NONE
MINERAL – NONE
MISSOULA – The Missoulian souvenir of the National Irrigation Congress: historic and scenic Missoula and Ravalli counties, Montana, Wagner & Sevigne, 1899. [FamilySearch Film 547091, Item 1]
MUSSELSHELL – NONE
PARK – History of Park County, Montana, 1984, Taylor Publishing Company, Dallas, Texas, 1984.
PARK – Livingston Enterprise souvenir, Park County, Enterprise Publishing Company, Livingston, Montana, 1976.
PETROLEUM – NONE
PHILLIPS – Railroads to rockets: Diamond jubilee, Phillips County, Montana, 1887-1962.
PONDERA – Country roads; a history of East Community, the southeast corner of Pondera County, Brady, Montana, East Community Extension Homemakers, 1984.
PONDERA – “Yester years”: stories of and submitted by the people, Pondera Area Chapter 247, American Association of Retired People, Independent-Observer, Conrad, Montana, 198_.
PONDERA – NONE
POWDER RIVER – NONE
POWELL – NONE
PRAIRIE – Mildred memories on the O’Fallon, Mary R. Haughian, Terry, Montana, 1979.
RAVALLI – The Missoulian souvenir of the National Irrigation Congress: historic and scenic Missoula and Ravalli counties, Montana, Wagner & Sevigne, 1899. [FamilySearch Film 547091, Item 1]
RICHLAND – NONE
ROOSEVELT – NONE
ROSEBUD – They came and stayed: Rosebud County history, Forsyth, Montana, 1977. Rosebud County Bicentennial Committee, Forsyth, Montana, 1977.
SANDERS – A heritage remembered: early and later days in the history of western Sanders County, Lorraine Dufresne, 1981.
SHERIDAN – NONE
SILVER BOW – NONE
STILLWATER – NONE
SWEET GRASS – NONE
TETON – Teton County, a history, 1988: the story of Teton County, Montana, its land, its infancy, its people: history of the area through the World War II era, Teton County History Committee, Choteau Acantha, 1988.
TOOLE – NONE
TREASURE – NONE
VALLEY – NONE
WHEATLAND – NONE
WIBAUX – Wibaux golden jubilee: 1961, Wibaux, Montana, c1961.
WIBAUX – The romantic story of the W̲ Ranch and Pierre Wibaux, Montana Homeseeker, September 1906, Wibaux, Montana, 1906.
YELLOWSTONE – 60 miles of photo history: upper Yellowstone Valley, Park County News, Livingston, Montana, 1966.