We are moving along now with just three more children of John and Susannah (Douthit) Alberty to cover. Today, we will look at their daughter, Eliza, born 10 February 1854 and died 28 April 1909, both in Newton County, Missouri, who married John Thomas Douthit, a cousin, on 23 November 1869 in Newton County.
John, or Thomas, as he sometimes went by, was born 11 November 1853, just over the state line in Washington County, Arkansas. He died on 9 December 1912. However, while Eliza is buried in Van Buren Union Cemetery and has a stone to mark her final resting place, John only has a modern stone in Van Buren Cemetery that was obviously made long after his death. There is a Missouri state death record to support his date of death, though, and it confirms that he was to be buried in Van Buren Union Cemetery.
John Thomas and Eliza were the parents of eight children, all born in Newton County, MIssouri. Two daughters died in childhood and two sons never married.
1. Sarah Susan, born 14 January 1877; died 10 June 1920 in the flu pandemic, Newton County, Missouri, although the Roberts family lived in Joplin, Jasper, Missouri in 1920. She may have come home to receive care from relatives. She married Thomas J. Roberts on 5 January 1898, Newton County, Missouri. They were the parents of Alma, who died in childhood, and Truman Otis.
2. Nancy E., reportedly died on 9 October 1878
3. Cora, born 1880; died before 1900
4. Della Mae, born 20 July 1883; died 4 March 1932, Newton County, Missouri. She married Benjamin Louis Rimmer III, 16 June 1903, Newton County, Missouri. He was born 18 September 1879 and died 20 October 1957, Lawrence County, Missouri. They were the parents of seven children: Lloyd R., Esther Melva, Glenn Wilmer, Beulah Dolores, Opal L, Emmett Eugene and Midred May.
5. George Thomas, born 3 January 1885; died 8 April 1951, Vinita, Craig, Oklahoma. He married Cassie Branham, 2 November 1910, Newton County, Missouri. Cass was born c1892 and died after 1940. She has no gravestone in Vinita and likely died elsewhere. They were the parents of one son and one daughter – Orris and Pauline.
6. William Calvin, born 27 September 1890 and died 17 November 1965, Barry County, Missouri. He never married. William lived with the Rimmers in 1920.
7. Andrew Bruce, born 7 October 18794 and died 13 December 1969, Lawrence County, Missouri. He never married. Bruce lived with the Rimmers in 1920.
8. Henry Loren, born 24 June 1897 and died 11 June 1939, Barry County, Missouri. He married (1) Millie E. Stotts, 8 September 1917, Lawrence County, Missouri. She was born 17 January 1895 and died 1 October 1926. (2) Edna P. Marwell, 11 August 1927, Jasper County, Missouri. Henry and Millie had three daughters – Martha Elizabeth, Ruth Nadine and Lorene. After Henry died in 1939, the girls lived with Edna until they married and left home.
There are descendants today of John Thomas Douthit and his wife Eliza through Sarah, Della, George and Henry.