Susanna D. Witt, daughter of Benjamin Witt and Martha Adams and grandchild of Revolutionary War soldier Roger Williams and Cassie Ann Blair, was born c1834 in Bedford County, Virginia and died sometime after the 1880 census, but before 1900; married John M. Stevens, 11 Oct 1853, Bedford County, Virginia. He was born c1832, Virginia; died after 1900, when he is last seen in the census. He was a carpenter and a farmer. This family lived in Otter Township, Bedford County, through all their adult lives.
NOTE: Records for this family are found as often as STEPHENS as STEVENS. Vital records for all children’s dates are in Bedford County, Virginia unless stated otherwise.
- Elizabeth J., born 1 July 1854/6 and died 30 August 1932, Roanoke County, Virginia. She married Edward N. Wade on 17 December 1873. He was born 20 January 1854 in Virginia; died 2 April 1926, Roanoke County, Virginia.
- Genevra, born 24 October 1856. She died on 28 February 1951, Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia. She married James Albert Overstreet on 20 July 1879. He was born 23 February 1852 in Virginia, possibly Botetourt County; died 15 July 1914, Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia.
- Garnett Benjamin, born 18 Aug 1859; died 26 October 1933, Roanoke County, Virginia; married Mollie Matilda Linkous, c1892, perhaps in Roanoke County. By 1920, he lived in Graham, Tazewell County, Virginia. Mollie was born 28 May 1862, Virginia; died 4 April 1955. Both are buried in Tazewell County, Virginia.
- Emma G., born c1861/63; died 1943, perhaps Amherst County, VA, where she lived; married Joseph Bonaparte Wingfield, 27 May 1886, Bedford. He was born in 1853 in Nelson County, Virginia; died 1913, probably Amherst County, Both are buried there.
- Burgess, born c1863; died after 1880. Burgess is listed as a son in 1870, but a daughter in 1880. Not found after 1880.
- James E., born April 1869; died after 1900, when he was single, at home with his father and sister’s family.
- Clara Belle, born 5 November 1872; died after 1940; married Warren S. Stinnett, 4 December 1895. Clara had two children in 1900, was widowed and living in Ohio with her sister, Emma’s family. In 1910, she lived in Summers County, West Virginia, but was in Cabell County, West Virginia in 1920, and in Richmond, Virginia in 1930 and 1940. She was living with family members in each census, so this is definitely the same person in all these places.
- Sarah Patsey, born 13 November 1875; died 10 February 1958; married Crocius Emanuel Stinnett, 16 December 1896. He was born 4 April 1870 in Virginia and died 22 May 1962.
Most of John and Susannah’s children married and had children of their own, so there are probably many descendants out there. If you are family, please contact me. I’d love to share more information with you.