Lewis Peavler & wife, Catherine Head
This is a copy of an old photograph I received years ago from a genealogy pen pal whose name I hate to admit I have long forgotten. The young boy standing in between them may be one of their grandchildren, but it could possibly be their youngest son, Thomas, born in 1852. This boy could be ten or twelve years old, which means the photo was taken during the Civil War years. Lewis would then have been about 57 and Catherine about 52. Her bonnet and dress style looks like the fashions of that era.
Peavler is one of those names that has been recorded with a multitude of spelling, from Pebler to Peevler to Peveler, etc. This Lewis Peavler was born about 1805 in Tennessee, the son of another Lewis Peavler, who hailed from the Old Dominion (Virginia) and his wife, also a Catherine, but her maiden name unknown. The Peavler family left Tennessee for Knox County, Kentucky where the elder Lewis and Catherine likely died between 1850-1860.
The younger Lewis, on of the subjects in this photo, married Catherine Head about 1828, perhaps in Scott County, Virginia, which is where Catherine was reportedly born.
Lewis and Catherine were the parents of nine children:
1. Sarah Catherine, born 4 September 1829, probably Scott Co., VA; died16 December 1861, Linn co., MO. She married William K. Evans 30 May 1844, Linn Co., MO.
2. Mary Elizabeth, born 14 November 1832, probably Knox Co., KY; died 11 May 1921, Noble, Cleveland, OK. She married Thomas Standifer, 2 September 1849, Knox Co., KY
3. John Ira, born 2 May 1834, Knox Co., KY; died 10 August 1906, Saline Co., MO; married Louisa Bull on 26 November 1864, St. Louis, MO.
4. Matilda M., born December 1836, Knox Co., KY; died 6 August 1900, Linn Co., MO. She married (1) John Stufflebean, 9 June 1853 (2) John B. Hall, 22 March 1869, both in Linn Co., MO.
5. Isaac Lewis, born about 1839, Knox Co., KY; died 26 February 1865? He married Rachel Jane Stufflebean, 7 February 1860, probably Linn Co., MO
6. Docia C., born about 1842, Knox Co., KY; died 16 December 1871, Linn Co., MO; married Addison J. Smith, 2 September 1858, Sullivan co., MO.
7. William Franklin, born July 1843, Knox Co., KY; died 28 September 1927, Ft. Worth, Tarrant, TX. He married Mary E. Chaplin, 26 February 1862, Sullivan Co., MO.
8. James George, born 20 April 1846, Knox Co., KY; died 20 March 1936, Yuba Co., CA. He married Mary Elizabeth Haynes, 14 December 1865, Linn Co., MO.
9. Thomas M., born about 1852, Knox Co., KY; died 4 February 1938, Muskogee Co., OK. He married (1) Sarah M. Carmack, about 1871 and (2) Anna Prudy Bull, widow, 4 october 1883, Linn Co., MO.