William Andrew Bandy was born on 25 April 1835, in Lawrence County, Ohio, the fifth child and second son of George and Celia (Sanders) Bandy of Gallia County, Ohio. He died on 3 April 1926 in Pike County, Ohio.
William is sometimes confused with his cousin, Andrew Jackson Bandy, the son of Andrew and Rebecca (Wooldridge) Bandy of Lawrence County, Ohio because they were close to the same age.
William is found either as William or William A., while Andrew Jackson went by Jackson. Therefore, the “Andrew” records seem to combine these two cousins into one person.
William Andrew Bandy lived both in Gallia and Pike Counties during his lifetime.
He married (1) Luvina (Melvina in 1860 census) Wray, 30 December 1856, Gallia County, Ohio. Luvina was born c1838; died 1865, Gallia County, Ohio. (2) Ara Jane Wilson, 31 October 1870, Jackson County, Ohio.
John had surviving children with both wives.
Children (with Luvina):
1. Marquis D., born November 1857; died after 1930 census, probably Scioto County, Ohio; unmarried; no known descendants.
2. Morris/Maurice Wilmington, born 15 April 1859, Lawrence County, Ohio; died 23 March 1925, Scioto County, Ohio; married Jennie Handley, c1892. Jennie was born 11 August 1866, Ohio; died 24 April 1934, Scioto County, Ohio. They were the parents of nine children – Everett Emmett, Wray Powers, Cecil Maurice, Rose Ella, John William, Carl D., Carrie Elenore, Pearl Elizabeth and Gladys L.
3. Rosa L., born 4 February 1861, Lawrence County, Ohio; died 21 March 1934, Scioto County, Ohio; married James A. VonSchriltz, c1894. James was born in 4 October 1855; died 21 May 1939, Licking County, Ohio. They were the parents of one child – Forest Wray.
4. Ella Dora, born 16 June 1864; died 28 January 1932; unmarried at that time and living with brother Marquis in Scioto County, Ohio. No known descendants.
5. Jennie B., born c1865; lived with her grandparents, James and Malinda Wray, in Gallia County, Ohio in 1870, the one and only record found for her. She may have died young.
Children (with Ara Jane):
- Celia Alice, born 1 November 1871, Lawrence County, Ohio; died 13 February 1916, Columbus, Franklin, Ohio; married David Stillman VonSchriltz, c1888. David was born 15 July 1854, Meigs County, Ohio; died 15 January 1914, Pike County, Ohio. They were the parents of five children – James, Effie, Early, Ella and Ina.
- William Davis, 16 July 1873, Gallia County, Ohio; died 26 August 1933, Columbus, Franklin, Ohio; unmarried. No known descendants.
- George Clinton, 1875; died 1949; married Nettie Glass, 22 November 1902, Woodward County, Oklahoma. He isn’t found in 1910 and, by 1920, he was back in his parents home and divorced with two sons. However, Netty Bandy is back in her parents home in 1910 and listed as divorced with no children in the home. George and Netty were the parents of two sons – James William and Robert R.
- Joseph Corwin, born 23 June 1877, Ohio; died 21 April 1939, Flint, Genessee, Michigan; married Mary Shelton, c1902. Mary was born 30 June 1886; died 23 July 1971, Saginaw County, Michigan. She married (2) Clyde D. Martin, 13 June 1949, Lucas County, Ohio. Joseph and Mary were the parents of four children – Edith E., Orville Estle, Herman E. and Nora May.
- Adelphia May, born 13 February 1880; died 24 August 1921, Pike County, Ohio; married Peter John Leist, c1905. He was born 5 February 1877; died 30 August 1953, Columbus, Franklin, Ohio. They were the parents of one daughter, Lucille Erma.
- Katie M., born 1 February 1882; died 14 May 1904 and is buried in Pike County, Ohio; married Rutherford J. Dawson, 13 September 1902, Pike County, Ohio. No known descendants.
- Daniel Ray, born 27 May 1884; died 21 March 1968, Franklin County, Ohio; married Martha J. Rowland, c1908. She was born c1884; died 25 November 1966, Columbus, Franklin, Ohio. They were the parents of three children – Harriet Rebekah, Alice M. and Daniel Glendyn.
- Nora Luenna, born June 1886; died 18 October 1909, Pike County, Ohio; married Luther Rowland, 22 February 1905, Pike County, Ohio. Records are scarce for Luther in 1910 and 1920, but it appears that Luther and Nora were parents of two children – Ara Jane and John W.
Next, we will look at the family of Virginia Rachel Bandy who married George Buchanan.