Today’s Bandy family post features the fourth child and eldest son of Geoerge and Celia (Sanders) Bandy.
John Bandy was born 9 June 1833, probably in Lawrence County, but possible in Gallia County, Ohio, where he grew up. He died on 25 November 1919 in Gallia County.
John married twice, although the only thing known about his first wife is that she gave birth to a son, George, born c1862. The couple likely married c1861 and she may have died during childbirth.
John married (2) Talitha McDonald, 17 September 1866, Gallia County, Ohio. Talitha was born in January 1845 and died on 18 August 1920 in Gallia County.
In 1860, John was a 24 year old single man living alone in Walnut Township, Gallia County. By 1870, John had removed to Greenfield, a stone’s throw away from Walnut Township. He was head of a household consisting of himself, wife Talitha, his son George and his two children with Talitha – daughters Mary E. and Lucinda.
It was a family neighborhood, as two doors away in one direction was his sister Tamzey Littlejohn’s home and three and four doors in the other direction were brother Thomas and his family and then the home of his parents, George and Celia.
John continued working as a farmer, unlike most of his relatives who worked the mines.
The family continued to grow through the years with four more children by 1880 and another four before 1900. Most survived to adulthood, so this couple has many descendants.
Child (unknown mother):
1. George, born c1882; died after 1880 census; no further record
Children (with Talitha)(all events in Gallia County unless noted otherwise):
1. Mary E., but Fannie Florence after 1870, born 6 July 1867; died 12 July 1934, Toledo, Lucas, Ohio; married George Keller Jr., 13 February 1890. They were the parents of four children – Asa Mullace, Trevor Ross, and twins Effie Katherine and Ethel Wendel.
2. Lucinda Luvina, born 3 May1869; died 9 December 1876.
3. Friend, born 2 August 1871; died 10 May 1902; unmarried. No known descendants.
4. Franklin, born 8 November 1873; died 15 September 1935; married (1) Dora Bell Boggs, 17 August 1901. She was born c1880 and may have died before 1910, when Frank is at home, single, but son Clyde, aged 8 years old, is living with the family. (See below – Clyde married Rhoda Massie, his aunt by marriage and they had one daughter, June Arlene. By 1920, Frank is enumerated as widowed. (2) Minnie Jane Miller, widow of George Mossberger. She was born 28 July 1877; died 8 January 1940. They had no children together.
5. Mary, born c1875; died 6 January 1892.
6. Sarah, born 11 June 1873/78; died 12 July 1905; married Evan Jenkins Harrison Herbert, 18 June 1899. He was born 25 September 1870; died 18 April 1938, Wood County, Ohio. They were the parents of two sons, Claude and Archie. Evan married (2) Effie Dean, c1913.
7. John Estus, born 5 December 1880; died 3 February 1966, Delaware County, Ohio; married Varina Fay Shelton, c1906. She was born 26 December 1889; died 7 March 1979, Delaware County, Ohio. They were the parents of five daughters – Fanny Mae, Bessie, Katie Fay, Gladys Elva and Edith.
8. Jesse, born 20 January 1882; died 28 March 1962; married Rhoda Massie, c1925. She was born 4 September 1906, Lawrence County, Ohio; died 10 January 1975, Madison County, Ohio. They were the parents of two children – Virginia E. and Jess Willard. It appears that sometime between 1930 and 1940, Rhoda and Jesse divorced. Rhoda then married (2) Clyde A. Bandy, son of Franklin, above. In 1940, they lived in Pickaway County and Jess Willard Bandy lived with them.
9. Charles, born 28 November 1885/88; died December 1970, Lenawee County, Michigan; married Nellie Mae Thompson, c1917. She was born 6 December 1886, Lawrence County, Ohio; died 23 April 1961, Lenawee County, Michigan. They were the parents of one son, Gilbert Edward.
10. Lottie, born 18 July 1889; died 12 July 1905; unmarried