Jane Bandy was born c1831 in Lawrence County, Ohio, not long after her parents, Andrew Bandy and Rebecca Wooldridge, settled there from Botetourt County, Virginia.
Unlike several of her siblings and nieces/nephews, it appears that Jane spent her entire life in Lawrence County.
She married Lewis B. Campbell on 6 August 1851 in Lawrence County. He was born c1828 in Ohio and died 4 June 1871, at home in Ironton, per a death notice in the newspaper.
Jane is enumerated as a widow in the 1880 census, which is the last record in which she is found. Jane was a few years older than Lewis, but survived him and died 2 April 1894 in Ironton, Lawrence, Ohio.
Lewis was a stove moulder, working with molten metal to create castings. His job skills meant the family could live a bit more comfortably, but the work was dangerous and unhealthy.
Lewis and Jane had six children and at least four of them lived to adulthood. Oddly, it has been easier tracing their four daughters than their two sons.
Children (All events in Lawrence County unless noted otherwise.):
- Mary Ann, born c1853; died after 16 October 1876; married Patrick Smith, 14 February 1871. This couple has not been found in any census after their marriage. They had three children born in Lawrence County – Michael on 24 November 1871, Mary on 1 September 1874 and Lizzie on 16 October 1876. Lizzie married Henry Fahey in Butte, Silver Bow, Montana on 21 December 1897. This Lizzie matches the age of daughter Lizzie and the bride’s parents are named as Patrick Smith and Mary Campbell. However, Lizzie states that she was born in New Straits, Perry, Ohio. The 1880 census of New Straitsville, Perry, Ohio includes the family of James W. and Eliza Smith, enumerated with six children at home, including 2 year old Elizabeth. The 1900 census shows James, Eliza and 22 year old Elizabeth at home in Hocking County, Ohio, where Elizabeth later married Albert J. Green in 1905. I tend to think that both Patrick and Mary died before the 1880 census and the three children were farmed out to relatives. Lizzie Fahey may not have lived with James and Eliza until after the 1880 census and she may have thought that she was born in Perry County. What became of her siblings Michael and Mary I don’t know. Their names are way too common and, given that Lizzie married in Montana, her siblings might have gone anywhere.
- Martha E. (Mattie) born 19 February 1855; died 16 October 1944, Los Angeles County, California; married John W. Leatart, 14 April 1875. He was born June 1849, Virginia and did 14 January 1928, Los Angeles County, California. John and Martha were parents of seven children, all sons – Ferdinand Campbell, Arlington Lewis, Emerson Winfield, Arthur Otto, Elmer Robert, Howard Allen and John Wilford. By 1900, they had removed to Columbus, Franklin, Ohio and, by 1920, they had settled in Long Beach, Los Angeles, California. Emerson might have been the first in the family to try life in California, as he was convicted of grand larceny and spent a year in Folsom Prison in 1904. All seven sons married, but two divorced and four had no children. However, Ferdinand had one son, Paul, who never married. That leaves Arthur, who had two daughters and Howard, who had three sons. The entire family stayed in California until they passed away.
- William L., born c1858; died after 1870; no further record.
- Sarah Jane, born c1860; died 1944, Columbus, Franklin, Ohio; married (1) Morgan Pritchard, c1883. In 1880, Morgan Prichard, born c1861, Ohio, was at home in Lawrence County with wife Mary (Mollie Anderson) and two daughters, Ada, 2, and Birtie, 8 months old. Morgan died between 1893 and the 1900 census. (2) William Edgar Root, 21 May 1902. He was born 1861; died 1946, Columbus, Franklin, Ohio and is buried with Sarah. Sarah had one daughter, Grace Beatrice Campbell, born 23 September 1877, Lawrence County, Ohio. She is called Grace Alice Campbell, grandchild of Jane Campbell in the 1880 home. No further record for her. Sarah also had three children – Blaine, Madaline M. and Thomas – with Morgan Pritchard. William and Sarah had no children together but William’s daughter, Clara, married Sarah’s son, Blaine.
- John B., born c1864; died after 1870; not at home in 1880; no further record.
- Kate Marie, born 19 May 1867; died 21 August 1933; married John H. Hannon, 23 January 1888. He was born 22 June 1859, Ohio; died 1920. They had four children, three living in 1910 – Raymond, Marjorie and Elsie.
I am happy that I’ve updated this family. Lawrence County, Ohio has some very active genealogy society members and death notices transcribed and posted on the Lawrence Register finally provided missing death dates for Lewis and Jane Campbell.