I am still trudging around Baltimore County, Maryland, piecing together the Poteet family history.
It’s time to begin at the beginning with Francis Poteet, who died in Baltimore County, Maryland by 1688. He left a widow, Mary, who married (2) Michael Hastings. The birth years of his children are estimates, but let’s say he was married by 1675, which is reasonable as he left five children.
That would place the birth year of Francis Poteet, c1650, if he married in his early 20s, which again is reasonable.
NOTE: Some of this information is heresay and I question if others haven’t mixed up men of the same name.
1. Francis; born c1676 (estimate); married Lucy (MNU); left a will proved on 3 August 1709. His daughter Mary was under 16 when he died and she is probably the Mary Poteet who married George Ogg, 22 August 1722. Lucy married (2) John Swinyard.
2. Lewis, born c1678 (estimate); possibly the man who married Catherine Green, 12 June 1722, Baltimore County, Maryland. Children: Rebecca, born 9 December 1722, Ann, born 5 October 1727. However, if this is the right Lewis, he either married and lost a wife or married at a fairly late age. I think this Lewis might be a grandson of Francis who died by 1688.
3. John, born c1680 (estimate); said to have died by 2 May 1721 when widow Elizabeth posted bond. She married (2) John Powell. Court records supposedly name his children as John, Rebecca (born 9 October 1712), Susanna (born 8 February 1715), Abraham (born 20 June 1715 – sic) and John. Another possibility – is John who married Rebecca also a grandchild of Francis who died in 1688 and John, the proven brother of Lewis, Francis and Peter is actually the man who sold all his worldly goods to his heirs in 1745?
4. Peter, born c1682 (estimate); married Rebecca (Bond?); will proved 2 April 1740, Baltimore County, Maryland. More on this line to come, as it is my husband’s direct line.
5. Susanna?, born c1684 (estimate); One Susanna Poteet was the ward of Benjamin Stanley until November 1692. Anthony Johnson then petitioned to be her guardian. By March 1693/94, Anthony Johnson and his wife were tried for her murder. Susanna was probably the child of Francis, given the time frame of her death.
There is a ton of mixed up information out there about the children of Francis Poteet who died by 1688. The names of his children are certain, as they are named in records.
However, wives and children attributed to them are very inconsistent when searching online.
I tend to think it’s more realistic that John who sold all to his children in 1745 is very likely the son of Francis who died by 1688. If the estimated birth year of 1680 is close to correct, he would have been 65 in 1745, possibly in ill health and/or planning to live with one of those children.
The John who married Elizabeth and died in 1721 could have been a son of Francis or Lewis.
Any thoughts on this mess? If you are a Poteet researcher, I’d love to share info with you.