Nathaniel Barnard, son of Thomas Barnard and wife Eleanor of Salisbury, Essex, Massachusetts was born in Salisbury on 15 January 1642/43. He grew up in Salisbury, too, but Thomas’s family kept in touch with Thomas’s brother, Robert, and his family, although Robert had left Salisbury for Andover and then, finally, Nantucket, where he spent the remainder of his life.
It seems likely that Nathaniel knew his cousins for most of his young years and, at some point, married Mary Barnard, daughter of his uncle Robert and aunt Joanna (?Harvey.) Where the couple married isn’t known, but they probably married in late 1665 or early 1666.
Nathaniel and Mary settled on Nantucket Island and spent the rest of their years living there. They became the parents of nine known children, although the births of their last two children aren’t recorded in Nantucket, or anywhere else that I’ve found.
Children, all vitals in Nantucket unless noted:
1. Mary, born 24 February 1667; died the 8th month of 1737; married John Folger, c1689
2. Hannah, born 19 July 1669; no further record
3. John, born 24 February 1670 (perhaps should be 1671 or 1672, although the vital records say 1670); died 4 December 1745; married Sarah Macy
4. Nathaniel, born 24 November 1672; died 28 April 1718; married (1) Elizabeth Starbuck, widow of Peter Coffin. She died 1706. (2) Dorcas Manning, died 1708 (3) Judith Coffin, widow of Peter Folger, 1 February 1709
5. Stephen, born 16 February 1674; died 12th day, 5th month of 1748; married Damaris (or Hopcot) Gardner, 25 May 1708
6. Sarah, born 23 March 1677; died after 10 May 1717, when she gave birth to her last child in Amesbury; married Thomas Currier, 19 September 1700, Amesbury, Essex, Massachusetts.
7. Eleanor, born 18 June 1679; died 25 November 1769; married Ebenezer Coffin, 12 December 1700
8. Benjamin; died 22nd day, 10th month of 1729; married Judith Gardner, 3 January 1711
9. Timothy; apparently unmarried; died 1707 on Scilly Rocks, near Cornwall, England while in an English fleet
Here ends my line of Barnards, as I descend from daughter Eleanor who married Ebenezer Coffin.
My line of descent from a double line of 9X great grandparents:
Thomas Barnard & Eleanor + Robert Barnard & Joanna (?Harvey)
Nathaniel Barnard = Mary Barnard
Eleanor Barnard = Ebenezer Coffin
Cromwell Coffin = Ruth Coffin
Joseph Coleman = Eunice Coffin
Joseph Coleman = Ruth Spurr
Thomas Coleman = Mary Elizabeth Astle
William Coleman = Sarah Moriah Crouse
Hartwell Thomas Coleman = Anna Elisabeth Jensen
Hazel Ethel Coleman = Vernon Tarbox Adams
Doris Priscilla Adams = George Michael Sabo
Linda Anne Sabo Stufflebean – me!