Recently, I shared the story of Loring and Emeline (Adams) Bill up to their deaths in 1926 and 1917, respectively.
Of their five children, two of their sons, Charles E. and William Harrison, married and had children.
Today, I’ll share what is known about their grandchildren and possible descendants today.
Charles E., oldest child of Loring and Emeline, was born 18 November 1867 in Eastport, Washington, Maine. On 10 September 1890, he married Martha H. Black, also in Eastport. Martha was born in 1872 and died in 1935. Charles long outlived Martha, passing away in 1954. Both are buried at Evergreen Cemetery in Brighton, Suffolk, Massachusetts.
Here are the grandchildren of Loring and Emeline (Adams) Bill through son Charles and his wife, Martha:
Charles and Martha were the parents of five children:
- Charles Horace, born 27 December 1891, Eastport, Washington, Maine; died after 1930 census. He married Lily H. Sweet, 19 January 1914, Weymouth, Norfolk, Massachusetts. Lily was born c1898, Connecticut. She married (2) Samuel F. Charney before 1940. Lily died on 4 January 1950 and is buried at Melrose Cemetery. Her gravestone lists her name as Charney. No grave is found there for Charles Horace.
- Elizabeth E., born 15 June 1893, Eastport, Washington, Maine; Lizzie married Frank E. Bailey, 4 June 1919, Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts.
- Orlo James, born 12 April 1896, Eastport, Washington, Maine; died May 1970, Waltham, Middlesex, Massachusetts; married Marjorie Beatrice Flaherty, 7 August 1920, Newton, Middlesex, Massachusetts.
- Ethelyn Vera, born 28 September 1905, Pembroke, Washington, Maine; married Ernest Daniel Whitehouse, 1925, Massachusetts.
- Elsie K., born 10 May 1908, Eastport, Washington, Maine; married James M. Allen, 1928, Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts.
In 1900 and 1910, the family lived in Eastport, Washington, Maine;
Charles “Bell” Family, 1900
Charles “Bills” Family, 1910
William Harrison, last of Loring’s and Emeline’s children, was born 15 July 1876, Deer Island, New Brunswick, Canada. He married twice: (1) Mary Ann Short, 15 March 1905, Somerville, Middlesex, Massachusetts and (2) Emma Florence Moore, 17 October 1920, Brookline, Norfolk, Massachusetts.
Harrison had no children with either wife. However, he and Emma adopted a son:
Melvin Kenneth, born 9 April 1924, Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts; died 14 July 2004, Pasadena, Los Angeles, California. It isn’t known whether Melvin married and had a family.
Following one more generation, the great grandchildren of Loring and Emma, the only descendants are from Charles and Martha (Black) Bill through their five children.
Charles Horace Bill and Lily Sweet married 19 January 1914. They had four children. Their daughter, Helen, lived an extremely sad life.:
- Helen Hurst, born 1917, Massachusetts; died 10 December 1947; married (1) Henry Sidney Schmitchel, 1935, Massachusetts (2) Clarence M. Vines, who died in World War II in Germany. Sidney and Helen had several children, but almost everyone in this family died quite young and are buried in Melrose Cemetery, Brockton, Massachusetts. Their children are: Helen Mae (1935-1950), Winifred (1937-10 December 1947), Frederick Robert (1940-10 December 1947) and Lily (1943-1943). A Morning News article from Wilmington, Delaware on January 3, 1950 (page 5) carried the following story: “Young Ralph went to live with his grandparents after his twice-widowed mother, Mrs. Helen Schmitchel Vines, 31, his brother Frederick, seven, and his sister Winifred 10, burned to death in their home Dec. 11, 1947 (sic). The boy and a boarder escaped.” Sidney, husband and father, was born c1916 and died in 1942 in a freak accident where he was hit in the head with a crank while trying to start a truck. Helen and Clarence had a daughter Katherine, born c1946, who survived the fire, according to a news article. There are children who might be alive today so there might be more descendants in this line.
- Lily J., born 1920, Massachusetts; married John Bartholomew Tracey, 15 August 1936, Nashua, Hillsborough, New Hampshire. John was born 19 November 1918, Easton, Bristol, Massachusetts; died 16 November 1974, Stoughton, Norfolk, Massachusetts. They had four sons, who have all passed away, but there are 2X great grandchildren for this line, too.
- Christina K., born c1921, Massachusetts; died 31 October 1998, Plymouth County, Massachusetts; married Mr. Freeman, 1938, in Massachusetts. It appears they had two children, so there are also descendants in this line.
- James Horace, born 25 August 1923, Stoughton, Norfolk, Massachusetts; died 6 February 1991, also in Stoughton; married Geraldine A., 1942. Geraldine was born 14 March 1922; died 9 October 2001, Stoughton, Norfolk, Massachusetts. They had four children, so there are 2X great grandchildren through this line.
Next, the second child of Charles E. and Martha H. (Black) Bill was Lizzie:
Elizabeth E., born 15 June 1893, Eastport, Washington, Maine married Frank E. Bailey on 4 June 1919, Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts. Frank was born c1897, Massachusetts. They lived in Boston in 1940 and had two daughters. Nothing further has been found on this family. There could be descendants in this line.
The third child of Charles and Martha was Orlo James:
Orlo James was born 12 April 1896, Eastport, Washington, Maine; died May 1970, Waltham, Middlesex, Massachusetts; married Marjorie Beatrice Flaherty, 7 August 1920, Newton, MIddlesex, Massachusetts. She was born 29 August 1891; died June 1969, Waltham, Middlesex, Massachusetts. They had two children. Daughter Frances M. was born c1922. Nothing more is known of her. Son Robert Orlo was born 6 April 1930; died 1 January 1954, Sacramento, Sacramento, California. It isn’t known whether either child married or had a family.
The fourth child of Charles and Martha was Ethelyn Vera:
Ethelyn Vera was born 28 September 1905, Pembroke, Washington, Maine; died 1985 and is buried at Puritan Lawn Memorial Park, Peabody, Essex, Massachusetts; married Ernest Daniel Whitehouse, 1925, Massachusetts. Ernest was born 29 July 1903, Cambridge, Middlesex, Massachusetts; died 27 November 1986, Winthrop, Suffolk, Massachusetts. He is buried next to Ethelyn. In 1940, they had one son who married Nancy J. and they had four children. There are descendants in this line.
The last child of Charles and Martha was Elsie K.:
Elsie K. was born 10 May 1908, Eastport, Washington, Maine; married James M. Allen, born c1903, Scotland, 1928, Boston, Massachusetts. In 1940, they had one son, Robert S., born c1937. It is possible that Robert worked on cruise ships and traveled the world. There is a Robert Allen, born Boston, on a ship in 1956 and a Robert S. Allen on a ship in 1957. He was a junior engineer. NO further information on Robert or when his parents died.
There are many possibilities for descendants today of Loring Benoni Bill and Emeline M. Adams. If you recognize any of your family here, please contact me. 🙂