This is the final post covering the grandchildren of Loyalist Walter Stewart by his third wife, Althea (Wetmore) (Craft) Stewart.
They had six children:
1. Elizabeth Ann, born c1804; died after 1848, when Harriet was reportedly born; married William Wetmore, 7 June 1823. William was reportedly born 4 September 1795; died 3 December 1853 in New Brunswick, Canada. However, I can’t find this family in 1851. They apparently lived in Saint John and that census is missing. I don’t know the source for these children, but John and Susanna both have Massachusetts death records naming their parents.
1. John W., born 1830, St. John, New Brunswick, Canada; died 9 November 1901, Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts; married Abigail Verrill, 16 October 1855, Portland, Cumberland, Maine. They had five children – Wallace E., Charles O., Charlotte E., Ulysses S. Grant and Alfred Thomas.
2. Charity Amelia, born 20 July 1832, New Brunswick, Canada; died 29 December 1917, Berkeley, Alameda, California; married William Puddington Wetmore. They had 6 children – Charles William, Frederick Ward, Mary J., Hattie Elizabeth, Lily May and William Nelson.
3. Susanna Jane, born 1835; died 12 February 1907, Woburn, Middlesex, Massachusetts; married John William Munroe, 3 October 1856, Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada. They had 5 children; Aaron William, Mary Elizabeth, Reuben Jesse, Harley titus and Charles Everett.
4. James Blakeney, born 8 March 1841, New Brunswick, Canada; died 28 August 1901, Spring Lake, Ottawa, Michigan; married Miriam Munroe, 1863, Kings County, New Brunswick, Canada. Miriam was born 1 March 1844, Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada; died 12 August 1930, Fettysburg, Ottawa, Michigan. This family moved often with children born in Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada, Boston, Massachusetts, Cincinnati, Ohio, Liberty Township, Ohio, Hillsboro, Ohio and possibly Kentucky. They had 8 children – Samuel Ivan, Mary Adelaide, Miriam R., Annie Lyle, James Blakeney, Elizabeth Sarah, and Milton Thomas.
5. William Thomas, born 11 January 1844, New Brunswick, Canada; died 29 November 1926, Chicago, Cook, Illinois; married Sarah Susan Troutwine. They had 5 children – Carrie May, Frances Estella, Harriet A., Charles Quinn and Nellie Lou.
6. Harriet E., born c1848; no further information
2. Caleb James, born c1809; reportedly died 7 February 1878, but I can’t find him in any census after 1851; reportedly went by James; married Amy S. Golding, 13 November 1830. She was born c1830; died 19 March 1859. In 1851, the family lived in Hampton, Kings County. If going by James, he may be the 1861 James Stewart, 49, living in Sussex, Kings County, New Brunswick with wife Ellen, aged 28 and children John 8, James 7, William H. 5 and Mary E., also 5.
1. John Henry, born c1833; died after 1851; no further information
2. Charles, born c1835; died after 1851; no further information
3. Charles – I don’t know the source of attributing a son
Charles to Walter and Althea Stewart, but he apparently died young, unmarried and left no descendants.
4. Deborah Catherine, born c1808-1810, per census records; died 11 February 1873, probably Kings County, New Brunswick; married George Puddington, 16 May 1823, Kingston, Kings, New Brunswick, Canada. George was born 19 June 1805; died 8 November 1883 and is buried in Sussex, Kings, New Brunswick, Canada. The newspaper reports that George was 16 and Deborah 13 when they married!
The Kings County census records are not available on the LAC website, but this is a list of their supposed children, which I haven’t been able to verify.
1. Clarissa J., born 1825; died 1918; married Charles Williams, 3 July 1845, Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada. They had 8 children – Levinia, Malvenia M.G., Charlotte Annie, Melissa Ethelinda, Mary E., George Thomas Penn, Charles Edward, Frederick, and Burnham
2. James, born 1827; died 1853; no further information
3. Mary Ann, born 9 February 1830; reportedly died 1903, but I have no further information
4. Margaret, born 1833; died 19 February 1881, probably Queens County, New Brunswick, Canada; married William David McConchie, 16 February 1854, Kingston, Kings, New Brunswick, Canada. They had 8 children – Eliza, Phebe, Adelia, Anne A., Henrietta, William Gordon, Alice M. and Amy Alberta.
5. George H., born 1834; died 1896, probably Queens County, New Brunswick, Canada; married Phebe Brown. They had 9 children – Elizabeth Ann, Orland Herbert, William Ernest, George Clifford, Ruth, John Henry, Drucilla Phoebe, Eliza Jane and Gilbert.
6. Thomas Edwin, born 2 October 1837; died 2 October 1912, Rochester, Ulster, New York; married Rhoda A. Crowell, 11 November 1863. They had four children – Arthur Wesley, Harriet Stewart, Bessie Lillian and Harry Hudson.
7. Edmund, born 1 January 1840; died 1902; married Sarah A. Campbell. They had one child – Percy B.
8. Oscar Wellington, born 28 October 1842; died 20 October 1905; married Frances Jane Smith, 1 March 1866, Windsor, Hants, Nova Scotia, Canada. They had ten children – Florence, Deborah Martha, Araminta, William Oscar, Edmund Kelly, Geoerge Arthur, Jennie Wetmore, Lucy Madeline, Emma Stewart and Katherine Stewart.
9. Benjamin, born 1845; died 1847
10. Alfred E., born 1850; died 1851
11. Deborah Catherine, born 7 July 1854, Clifton, Kings, New Brunswick, Canada; married (1) David Erasmus Wetmore, 30 June 1875 (2) Samuel Codner, 1897, St. John, New Brunswick, Canada. David and Deborah Wetmore had four children – Oscar Wainwright, Irene Beatrice, Eugenia Mildred and Mabel Evelyn. Samuel and Deborah Codner had no known children.
5. Althea Jane Wetmore, born c1813; died 4 February 1875, Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada and called widow of David in the Saint John Daily News; married (1) William Branscombe, 5 April 1841 (2) David Ross, c1853.
1, Lavinia A., born c1841; at home with David and Jane Ross in 1861; no further information
2. Charles Edwin, born c1842; died after 1881; married Elizabeth (MNU), c1870. They had 4 children – Abigail, Weethy, Anna and Mary
3. John Walker, born January 1846; died 12 August 1863, aged 17 years, 7 months.
4. Elizabeth Ann, born December 1850; likely died young as she is not at home in 1861.
1. George, born c1854; probably Kings, New Brunswick, Canada; died after 1871; no further record
2. Frederick, born c1857, probably Kings, New Brunswick, Canada; died after 1871; no further record
6. Esther Susannah Wetmore, born 11 April 1815, Kingston, Kings, New Brunswick, Canada; died 29 August 1908, Richmond, Carleton, New Brunswick, Canada; married Thomas William Golding, 13 January 1835, probably Kings County, New Brunswick, Canada.
- Charles Stephen, born 31 March 1836; died 12 September 1871, Woodstock, Carleton, New Brunswick, Canada; apparently unmarried.
- Rebecca Ruth, born 1838; died 1862; apparently unmarried.
- Frances Elizabeth, born 30 May 1840; died 28 February 1928, McAdam, York, New Brunswick, Canada; married (1) William Dyer, 17 February 1863, Woodstock, Carleton, New Brunswick, Canada (2) John E. Casey, 17 August 1886, York, New Brunswick, Canada. Frances apparently had no children with either William Dyer or John Casey.
- Thomas William, born 6 October 1842; died 14 October 1927, McAdam, York, New Brunswick, Canada; married Ellen Jane O’Neill, 4 October 1873, Houlton, Aroostook, Maine. They had 9 children – Angus Victor, Charles Albert, Amelia Frances, Alice Maud, Ruth Rebecca, Mary Pearl, John Frederick, George William and Thomas Allen.
- Harriet E., born 12 May 1847; 27 July 1927, McAdam, York, New Brunswick, Canada; married (1) Joseph Crawford, c1872 (2) George Cook, 15 February 1922, York, New Brunswick, Canada. Joseph and Harriet had 2 children – Mary Ann and Ernest S.
- Esther Ann, born February 1849; died 23 June 1929, McAdam, York, New Brunswick, Canada; married John Lenahan, 26 December 1880, Carleton, New Brunswick, Canada. They may have divorced and had no children. No further information.
- George Marshal, born 3 May 1850; died 4 August 1936, McAdam, York, New Brunswick, Canada; married Octavia Lilley, 16 August 1888. They had one son, Thomas William.
- James Franklin, born 6 February 1855, Carleton New Brunswick, Canada; died 18 September 1936, McAdam, York, New Brunswick, Canada; married Augusta Amelia Lovelace, c1880. They had 6 children: Mabel Alice, Althea Jane, Ida May, Mary Elizabeth, Augusta Ann and James Adelbert.
- Charlotte Amelia, born 18 July 1859, Carleton, New Brunswick, Canada; died 20 March 1946, Cumberland Bay, Waterborough, Queens, New Brunswick, Canada; married Thomas Warren Letson, 1894, Carleton, New Brunswick, Canada. They had 9 children – Bertha E., Lena Louise, Robert Roy, George William, Annie Hazel, Minnie Pearl, Gladys Lillian, Viola Octavia and Birkett Elwood.
- John Frederick, born 8 November 1861; died 11 March 1863, Woodstock, Carleton, New Brunswick, Canada
- Emily Jane, born 25 September 1863Woodstock, Carleton, New Brunswick, Canada; died 1940, Massachusetts; married Alexander Wellington McCullah, 11 April 1887, New Brunswick, Canada. They had 3 children – Rollie R., Mary Esther and Robert W.
As you can see from all these grandchildren and great grandchildren, Walter Stewart has many descendants today. If you are one of them, please leave a comment.