This is part of a series about my New England colonial ancestors who arrived by during the Great Migration. If you have early Massachusetts ancestry, be sure to check out AmericanAncestors, as the Great Migration Study Project can be viewed there with a membership to the New England Historic Genealogical Society.
Richard Kimball was born c1595, possibly in Essex, England, the son of Richard Kimball of Lawford, Essex, England. He married Ursula Scott, daughter of Henry and Martha (MNU) Scott, c1614, probably in Kent, England.
The Kimballs were more fortunate than most who lived in the 17th century, as they had eleven known children who all lived to adulthood.
The Kimball family left England in April 1634, sailing on the Francis. On the same ship was the family of Henry Kimball, about five years older than Richard. He was from Mistley, Essex, while Richard Kimball had been living in Rattlesden, Suffolk. The two towns are only about 20 miles distant from each other. In spite of the differing towns, Richard and Henry were brothers per the Great Migration Study, but others are not so sure.
Upon arriving in Massachusetts Bay Colony, the Kimball brothers and their families settled in Watertown. However, Richard Kimball soon moved to Ipswich, Suffolk, Massachusetts.
- Henry, baptized 12 August 1615, Rattlesden, Suffolk, England; died before 16 June 1676, probably at Wenham, Essex, Massachusetts, when his estate inventory was taken; married (1) Mary Riddlesdale, c1640 (2) Elizabeth Black.
- Abigail, baptized 5 November 1617, Hitcham, Suffolk, England; died 17 June 1658, Salisbury, Essex, Massachusetts; married John Severance, c1636.
- Elizabeth, born c1621, England; died after 5 March 1674/75 when she was mentioned in her father’s will. If she married, the name of her husband hasn’t been found.
- Richard, born c1623, England; died 20 May 167[torn], Wenham, Essex, Massachusetts; married (1) Mary (Cooley?) (2) Mary Morris, after 2 September 1672.
- Mary, born c1625, England; died 12 July 1686, Ipswich, Essex, Massachusetts; married Robert Dutch, c1646.
- Martha, born c1629, England; married Joseph Fowler, c1657. He was killed by Indians on 19 May 1676 Northampton, Hampshire, Massachusetts. No further marriage or death record has been found for her.
- John, born c1631, England; died 6 May 1698, Ipswich, Essex, Massachusetts; married Mary Bradstreet, c1657.
- Thomas, born c1633, England; died 2 May 1676, Rowley (now Bradford), Essex, Massachusetts in an Indian attack; married Mary Smith, c1658.
- Caleb, born c1635, Massachusetts; died before 23 September 1682, when his estate inventory was taken, Ipswich, Essex, Massachusetts; married Anna Hazelton, 7 November 1660, Ipswich, Essex, Massachusetts.
- Benjamin, born c1637, Massachusetts; died 11 June 1695, Bradford, Essex, Massachusetts; married Mercy Hazelton, 16 April 1661, Salisbury, Essex, Massachusetts.
- Sarah, born c1639, Massachusetts; died 12 June 1690, Ipswich, Essex, Massachusetts; married Edward Allen, 24 November 1658, Ipswich, Essex, Massachusetts.
Ursula (Scott) Kimball died c1661m probably in Ipswich, Essex, Massachusetts. Richard married (2) Margaret Cole, 23 October 1661, Hampton, Rockingham, New Hampshire, but they had no children together.
Richard Kimball died on 22 June 1673, Ipswich, Essex, Massachusetts.
My line of descent:
- Richard Kimball & Ursula Scott
- John Severance & Abigail Kimball
- James Coffin & Mary Severance
- Ebenezer Coffin & Eleanor Barnard
- Cromwell Coffin & Ruth Coffin
- Joseph Coleman & Eunice Coffin
- Joseph Coleman & Ruth Spur
- Thomas Coleman & Mary Elizabeth Astle
- William Coleman & Sarah Moriah Crouse
- Hartwell Thomas Coleman & Anna Elisabeth Jensen
- Vernon Tarbox Adams & Hazel Ethel Coleman
- George Michael Sabo & Doris Priscilla Adams
- Linda Anne (Sabo) Stufflebean – Me!