With all my family ties to Maine, today’s list is close to my heart. Today’s list isn’t long and only Sagadahoc County has no volumes to share, but I’ve found some previously undiscovered good stuff!
1. While every county in the state is listed, links are only provided for titles that no longer fall under U.S. copyright laws. All (almost) links connect to free websites.
2. There are a few instances when a book has been digitized, but is only found on a paid site. In that case, no link is inserted, but a note as to the website where it has been found is given.
3. When a state history has also been found in digital format, it is listed in the STATE section that precedes the county list. I have limited STATE entries to those with county histories/biographical volumes in them.
4. There are a number of counties that DO have histories written, BUT they remain copyrighted material. Therefore, if a county has NONE after its name, it doesn’t mean there is no county history, just that none has been digitized. It’s also possible that the only digitized county history is included in one of the state volumes, so be sure to check those entries.
5. If the book is on FamilySearch, you will need a free account to access it. This list does NOT include town histories.
6. When all fifty states have been completed, I will post a PDF of them all.
7. One last note – it is very possible that a book is digitally available on more than one website. I’ve only included links to one site per book.
STATE – Saco Valley settlements and families: historical, biographical, genealogical, traditional and legendary, Gideon Tibbetts Ridlon, Portland, Maine, 1895.
STATE – Biographical review of Somerset, Piscataquis, Hancock, Washington, and Aroostook counties, Maine, Biographical Review Publishing Company, Boston, 1898.
STATE – Biographical encyclopedia of Maine of the nineteenth century, Metropolitan Publishing and Engraving Company, Boston, 1885.
STATE – Biographical sketches of representative citizens of the state of Maine, New England Historical Publishing Company, Boston, 1903.
ANDROSCOGGIN – Atlas and history of Androscoggin County, Maine: from actual surveys, Sanford Everts & Company, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1873.
ANDROSCOGGIN – History of Androscoggin County, Maine, Georgia Drew Merrill, W.A. Fergusson & Company, Boston, 1891.
AROOSTOOK – Aroostook: with some account of the excursions thither of the editors of Maine, in the years 1858 and 1878, and of the colony of Swedes, settled in the town of New Sweden, Edward Henry Elwell, Transcript Printing Company, Portland, 1878.
AROOSTOOK – History of Aroostook, Edward Wiggin, Star-Herald Press, Presque Isle, Maine, 1922. [Two volumes in one book]
AROOSTOOK – Aroostook: our last frontier: Maine’s picturesque potato empire, Charles Morrow Wilson, Stephen Daye Printing, Brattleboro, Vermont, 1937.
CUMBERLAND – History of Cumberland County, Maine: with illustrations and biographical sketches of its prominent men and pioneers, W. Woodford Clayton, Everts & Peck, Philadelphia, 1880.
CUMBERLAND – Biographical review of Cumberland County, Maine, Biographical Review Publishing Company, Boston, 1896.
FRANKLIN – Biographical Review of Franklin & Oxford Counties, Maine, Biographical Review Publishing Company, Boston, 1897.
HANCOCK – A brief account of the early settlements along the shores of Skilling’s River: including West Sullivan, West Gouldsborough, Trenton Point and North Hancock: also reminiscences and anecdotes of old times and old folks, Thomas Foss, 1870.
HANCOCK – A survey of Hancock County, Maine, Samuel Wasson, Sprague Owen & Nash Printers, Augusta, Maine, 1878.
KENNEBEC – Illustrated history of Kennebec County, Maine: 1625-1799-1892, Simeon L. Deyo & Henry D. Kingsbury, H.W. Blake, New York, 1892.
KENNEBEC – A northern countryside, Rosalind Richards, Henry Holt & Company, New York, 1916.
KENNEBEC – Early history of the Kennebec Valley, Seth Harding Whitney, Sprague, Burleigh & Flynt, Augusta, Maine, 1887.
KENNEBEC – Kennebec yesterdays, Ernest Cummings Marriner, Colby College Press, Waterville, Maine, 1954.
KNOX – Chronicles of Knox County, Robert B. Fillmore, Rockport, 1922.
LINCOLN – Chronicles of Lincoln County, Robert B. Fillmore, Kennebec Journal Print Shop, Augusta, 1924.
OXFORD – Sketches of Oxford County, Thomas Treadwell Stone, Shirley & Ryde, Portland, Maine, 1830.
OXFORD – Biographical Review of Franklin & Oxford Counties, Maine, Biographical Review Publishing Company, Boston, 1897.
PENOBSCOT – History of Penobscot County, Maine: with illustrations and biographical sketches, 1826-1882. Williams, Chase & Company, Cleveland, Ohio, 1882.
PENOBSCOT – Genealogical index to Penobscot County history of Maine, 1882: published by Williams, Chase & Co., Agnes H. Ames Brewer, Maine, 1973.
PISCATAQUIS – Historical collections of Piscataquis County, Maine: consisting of papers read at meetings of Piscataquis County Historical Society; also the North Eastern Boundary Controversy and the Aroostook War, with documentary matter pertaining thereto, Piscataquis Historical Society, The Observer Press, Dover, Maine, 1910.
PISCATQUIS – History of Piscataquis County, Maine, from its earliest settlement to 1880, Amasa Loring, Hoyt, Fogg & Donham, Portland, Maine, 1880.
SOMERSET – East Somerset County register, 1911-1912, Chatto, Auburn, Maine, 1912.
WALDO – A survey of Waldo County, Maine: historical, physical, agricultural, J.W. Lang, Sprague, Owen & Nash, Augusta, 1873.
WASHINGTON – Calais, Eastport and Vicinity, their representative business men and points of interest, embracing Calais, Eastport, Machias, Machiasport, Milltown, Jonesport, Princeton, Millbridge, Cherryfield and Lubec, George F. Bacon, Glenwood Publishing Company, Newark, New Jersey, 1892.
WASHINGTON – Eastport and Passamaquoddy: a collection of historical and biographical sketches, William Henry Kilby, Edward E. Shead & Company, Eastport, Maine, 1888.
WASHINGTON – The Narraguagus Valley: some account of its early settlement and settlers, James Alphonso Milliken, A.J. Huston, Portland Maine, 1910.
YORK – History of York County, Maine: with illustrations and biographical sketches of its prominent men and pioneers, W. Woodford Clayton, Everts & Peck, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1880.