As I’ve begun to take a closer look at the descendants of Andrew Bandy and Rebecca Wooldridge, and am realizing just how scattered their descendants have become, I’ve decided to do an in-depth series on their eleven children and many grandchildren.
I’ve written about my husband’s 2X great grandmother, Mary (Bandy) (Sturgell) (Wade) (Cookman) Fouts many times and have brought her lines down to the present generation, at least in terms of proving their are descendants today without compromising privacy of the living.
Yesterday, there was an update on the family of Samuel Coleman Bandy, wife Sidney Nelson, and their blended family.
Today’s spotlight is on Martha Bandy, oldest daughter and third child of Andrew and Rebecca.
Martha Bandy was born on 22 June 1825, likely in Botetourt County, Virginia, the family home before Andrew moved to Lawrence County, Ohio about 1829. She married Michael Hobble on 15 March 1841 in Lawrence County.
Michael Hobble, the youngest son of George and Sophia (Arbaugh) Hobble, was born on 27 January 1814 in Greenbrier County, Virginia (now part of West Virginia). He died on 9 June 1876 in Peoria County, Illinois and is buried at the Maple Ridge Cemetery.
After Michael died, Martha left Illinois with daughter Rebecca and her family and died on 6 November 1895. She is buried in Americus, Lyon, Kansas.
Children (All events in Peoria County, IL unless noted otherwise):
1. Elizabeth C. Jane, born 21 June 1842, Lawrence County, Ohio; died 28 June 1921, Lyon County, Kansas; married Jesse Jones Jr., 20 June 1861. He was born 25 February 1837, Ohio; died 29 January 1911, Lyon County, Kansas. They were the parents of nine children, with six living in 1910.
2. Andrew Jackson, born 13 August 1845, Lawrence County, Ohio; died 28 July 1924, Clackamas County, Oregon; married Martha Lightbody, 22 November 1866. She was born in 1850, Illinois; died 1944, Clackamas County, Oregon. A.J. was a Civil War veteran. They were the parents of five children, with four living in 1900.
3. Mary C., born 21 April 1848, Lawrence County, Ohio; died 8 December 1939, Rock Island County, Illinois; married (1) William Cowgill Saylor, 7 August 1866. He reportedly died c1881, perhaps in Newton County, Missouri. (2) William H. Hayes, 13 October 1883, per her obituary, but place unknown as no marriage record has been found. Both husbands were Civil War veterans. Mary had five children with William Saylor and two daughters with William Hayes. Six of Mary’s 7 children were living in 1900.
4. Rebecca Isabelle, born 15 August 1850, Lawrence County, Ohio; died 16 November 1932, Lyon County, Kansas; married David Madison Cowser, 27 September 1866. He was born 21 May 1842; died 16 April 1917, Lyon County, Kansas. He was a Civil War veteran. This couple must have had a difficult life. They were parents of 11 children, but 6 sons and 1 daughter predeceased their father. One son and three daughters survived both parents.
5. Almira Milanda, born 17 November 1852, Lawrence County, Ohio; died 29 January 1934, Peoria County, Illinois ; married (1) Calvin Watson, 17 March 1870. He was born c1851, Illinois; died 1883. They apparently divorced soon, but had one daughter, Alice. Calvin married (2) Delilah Fryman, 4 July 1876. (2) William H. Jones, 21 August 1873, Tazewell County, Illinois. He was born c1852, Illinois; died before 1900, when Almira was enumerated as a widow. She reported giving birth to 6 children, all still living in 1900.
6. Melissa, born c1852, Lawrence County, Ohio; died before 10 August 1876, probably Peoria County, Illinois; married Neely Butler Gray, 8 February 1872. She apparently died soon as no further record is found and Neely married (2) Nellie C. Wilsey, 10 August 1876, Tazewell County, Illinois and lived in Vernon County, Missouri by 1880. Melissa has no known descendants.
7. George Washington, born c1855, Lawrence County, Ohio; died 6 November 1945; married Lucinda M. Deselms, 2 June 1878. She was born 30 January 1862; died 1 August 1941. They had no children and there are no known descendants of George.
8. Lucinda M., born c1861, Lawrence County, Ohio; died 26 June 1883 of consumption; reportedly married George Albert Adams in June 1882, but no record found. There are no known descendants.
9. Emma Elonia, born 14 April 1864, Lawrence County, Ohio; died 25 July 1956, Cook County, Illinois; married Joseph Bouchard, 30 May 1882. He was born 1861; died 1933, Cook County, Illinois. They were the parents of five children, all living in 1900.
10. John Henry, born 14 April 1868; died 29 May 1917, Boise, Ada, Idaho; married (1) Cora Isabel Lamb, c1895, probably in Kansas. She was born 17 July 1871, Iowa; died 8 July 1904, Lyon County, Kansas. (2) Dora Bell Killion, born 18 April 1871, Illinois; died 20 October 1920, Rice County, Kansas. John had two sons and one daughter with Cora and another son with Dora. Dora married (1) James M. Lunch (1867-1899).
This ends the family sketch of Michael and Patsey (Bandy) Hobble, who have many descendants today.
2 thoughts on “Family Sketch of Michael Hobble & Martha (Patsey) Bandy of Peoria, IL”
What was the process for divorce? I know in England it wasn’t common except, in general, for the upper classes and even then, difficult to obtain.
I don’t know the process for divorce, but do know it wasn’t easy anywhere in that time period. However, divorces were granted.