RootsTech Connect 2021 is almost here!
How should you prepare for a virtual genealogy conference with 300,000+ attending?
1. If you haven’t already done so, register immediately! It’s free!
2. Familiarize yourself with the Main-Stage-Schedule-FINAL2 information. The Main Stage is where the live events, including the keynote speakers from around the world, will be happening.
3. Start looking over the RootsTech-Connect-2021-Sessions-eng, which is almost 20 pages long! Don’t worry about when you will be viewing the class sessions – they will be accessible for at least one year. However, the selection is so varied that I spent some time highlighting classes that caught my interest. That way, I have a road map and won’t get overwhelmed when I can actually watch them. I’ve marked off sessions that cover almost every genealogical topic one can think of – from DNA to Airtable, Source Citations, Swiss Court Records, Pennsylvania Archives, Using Indirect and Negative Evidence, Solving Brick Walls and tons of other sessions. Good think I have all year to watch them!
4. The Expo Hall will open at 5:00 p.m. Mountain Time (US) on WEDNESDAY, 24 February for a four-hour preview. I always post reviews of new companies and products I come across at RootsTech. Usually, those posts are the last ones I write, after I return home from Salt Lake City. However, because vendor chats will only be open during the live weekend (through 27 February 2021), I will post exhibitor news early in the weekend. That way, if you are interested in a product or service, you can ask questions of the vendors and make purchases in which you are interested.
5. The conference NAVIGATION PAGE will go live sometime on Wednesday, 24 February, so check during the day to see if the screen above pops open. Your first stop should be the Sessions and Guide Me arena to learn how to get to where you want to virtually be.
6. Interested in how many relatives you have attending RootsTech Connect 2021 with you? Check out Randy Seaver’s post on how to set up the Relatives at RootsTech App. (Don’t wait until the last minute to do this because you need to have shared your tree on FamilySearch for this option to work.)
7. Besides the Relatives at RootsTech App, there is also the Connect arena on the home navigation page. This is where you can chat with other attendees, either by setting up your own chat or joining chats that others have started.
8. Be sure to visit the RootsTech Swag store for some Connect 2021 bling. I bought a nice heavy canvas RootsTech bag for hauling supplies to libraries, whenever that might be, along with a nice large mug for Arizona winter hot chocolate and summer iced tea.
I also bought the RootsTech Connect 2021 pin, given that this year’s conference might be a one-time, very unique experience.
It’s a great size – almost 2″ in diameter, so easily seen if you show it off at genealogy events.
There are many other items for sale – from tee shirts to pot holders to hats to power banks and more. Prices are very reasonable.
9. Most important of all, ENJOY the RootsTech Connect 2021 experience. It’s an opportunity to learn, engage with others as much or as little as you want, hear great speakers, and browse/shop to your heart’s content – all for free and from the comfort of home.
See you on Wednesday!
DISCLAIMER: I am an official RootsTech Connect 2021 ambassador and have received perks for promoting RootsTech conferences.
One thought on “9 Easy Steps to Get Ready for RootsTech Connect 2021 – Happening This Week!”