Thomas James Stufflebean was born 22 December 1858 and died 8 May 1942 in Noble, Cleveland County, Oklahoma, near his younger brother, John Henry Peavler Stufflebean, my husband’s great grandfather. He married Docia (Dolly) Standifer on 5 May 1881 in Linn County, Missouri. This family was living in Oklahoma very early, as son Freddie was born there in 1893.
Thomas Stufflebean Family, 1900 in Noble, OK
NOTE: Mattie Taylor, aged 6, a servant??, was living with them in 1900. Her birthplace is listed as Tennessee, but who she was and how she ended up living with Thomas’s family is not known.
It may have been because Thomas and his family were living in Noble that John Henry decided to bring his family to Oklahoma, too.
Thomas and Docia had eight children, five who survived to adulthood and seven of whom have been identified:
- John Albert, born 15 March 1882, Linn County, Missouri; died 23 July 1963, Lincoln County, Oklahoma; married (1) Willie Ella Wallace, 10 July 1904. Cleveland County, Oklahoma (2) Angelina Dillard (3) Izora Qualls. John had at least two children, Polly and Johnny, with his first wife.
- Bertha C., born 29 October 1883, Linn County, Missouri; died 21 November 1886, Linn County, Missouri
- Clara Estella, born 19 February 1888, Linn County, Missouri; died 18 September 1970, Cleveland County, Oklahoma; married John Calhoun Shaw, 2 May 1909, Cleveland County, Oklahoma. They had one son, Eugene, born about 1916.
- Charles Henry, born 1 April 1890; died 14 February 1899, Noble, Cleveland County, Oklahoma
- Fred Lafayette, aka “Fay”, born March 1893, Oklahoma; died 6 March 1957, Noble, Cleveland County, Oklahoma; married Argie L. Philpot, 21 September 1916, Cleveland County, Oklahoma. They had no children.
- Thomas Hamilton, born 1 March 1900, Oklahoma; died 1981, Noble, Cleveland County, Oklahoma. He married Clara West, 30 October 1921, Cleveland County, Oklahoma. They did not have any children.
- Nellie Carrie, born 27 April 1906, Oklahoma; died 19 January 1988, Cleveland County, Oklahoma. She married (1) Alfred E. Wagner, 26 December 1923, Cleveland County, Oklahoma. Alfred was born 26 December 1903 and died 25 January 1926, Cleveland County, Oklahoma (2) Cyrus Dion Grissom, about 1927. Cyrus and Nellie had a daughter, Evelyn Marie, born about 1928, Oklahoma. She married Gene Fox in Cleveland County, Oklahoma on 11 June 1948.
Thomas and Dolly (Standifer) Stufflebean have a number of descendants today. If you are one of them, I’d love to make contact with you. Please leave a comment. 🙂