Last week, I shared the family sketch of Joseph Addison Brasher, only full sibling of Emsley Harrison Brasher, my husband’s 2X great grandfather, and his wife, Permelia Jane Armstrong, who raised their family mostly in Hopkins County, Texas.
To recap, Joseph and Jane, as she was called, had six children, two of whom were daughters who died very young. A third child, Emsley Green, married twice. His first wife, Bettie Lee Conner, died giving birth to their only child in 1899 and Emsley had no known children with his second wife, Zoe Douthit, who he married in 1912.
That leaves the following three children, who all had children of their own:
- America Josephine, born 1872, Hopkins County, Texas; died after 1960, when she is listed as Josie, widow of Jake Johnson; married Jacob Riley Johnson, c1894, probably Hopkins County, Texas. Jacob was born 6 April 1868; died 28 March 1941, Lubbock County, Texas. They had six children and apparently have multiple grandchildren.Children:1. Ethel L., born November 1895, Texas; died 1990, Enid, Garfield, Oklahoma; married Roy Virgil Eddelman, 25 March 1919, Lubbock County, Texas. Roy was born 4 August 1894, Texas; died January 1985, Enid, Garfield, Oklahoma. Both are buried at Memorial Park Cemetery. They had three children: (A) Mary Ann, born 9 February 1921; died 2014, Enid, Garfield, Oklahoma; married Wilbur Claud Clark (1916-2005), 17 December 1939, Oklahoma County, Oklahoma. In 1940, the newlyweds lived in Karoma, Alfalfa, Oklahoma. They apparently divorced as Mary Ann married (2) William Otjen Jr., 1978, who predeceased her (3) John E. Lovell (1924-2005) in 1994. Wilbur married (2) Lorraine Pearl Bratcher. Mary Ann had two sons, one of whom predeceased her. (B) a sister apparently still living (C) Bobby Duane, born 1927; predeceased Mary Ann and may be the man who died in Pocatello, Idaho in 2008. No further information.
2. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Jane, born 5 August 1898, Texas; died 26 October 1982, Williamson County, Texas; married Lang Lawrence Anderson, c1920. He was born c1893, Texas; died 1961. They had three sons: (A) Othor Lang, called Jack, born 14 June 1920; died 2011. He married and had children. (B) J.R., born 1 January 1922; died 12 July 1965, Los Angeles County, California; married Imogene Dutton, 16 March 1944, Tillman, Oklahoma. No further family information. (C) Rex B., born 20 April 1925; died 2 June 1995, Clovis, Curry, New Mexico. Rex married twice and had three daughters.
3. Joseph Carl, born 15 April 1900, Texas; died 26 September 1985, Bee House, Coryell, Texas; married Elva Opal Calley, 24 December 1927, Lubbock County, Texas. She was born 15 April 1907, Texas; died 26 January 1993, Texas.
4. Orthor Claude, born 22 August 1902; died 14 February 1952 by suicide gunshot to his head. He was divorced. However, Orthor lived at home in 1930 and 1940 and no marriage record has been found for him. He hasn’t been found in the Lubbock City Directory and may have married away. It isn’t known whether he had any children.
5. Chloe Bertha, born 18 June 1905; died January 1989; married Clay Rufus Anderson, 11 October 1924, Lubbock County, Texas. He was born 2 April 1904; died 8 December 1992, Howell County, Missouri. They had two children.
6. Mary Eva, born 23 June 1910; Wilburn Layton Davis, 7 June 1941, Lubbock County, Texas. He was born 11 July 1909; died 19 September 2014, Lubbock County, Texas. They had at least two children.
- Addison Lee, born 1879, Hopkins County, Texas; died 29 December 1942, Raymondville, Willacy, Texas; married Cora Helen Forrest, 21 May 1903, Hidalgo County, Texas. She was born 10 March 1882, Texas; died 26 June 1973, Dallas County, Texas. They had three sons. Addison and Cora apparently had at least one grandchild, born to son Ray.Children:
1. Loyd, born c1907, Texas; died 17 January 1987, Hidalgo County, Texas; married Helen B. Melch, between 1930-1940 censuses. It appears they had no children.
2. Ray Vernon, born 6 November 1908, Texas; died 15 August 1981, Bell County, Texas; married Annie Laurie Hamlett (1914-1990), c1936. They had at least one child.
3. Howard Lee, born 30 August 1913, Texas; died 18 September 2002, Tarrant County, Texas; married Aileen Terry (1918-1984), c1942. They had no children.
- Larence Hubbard, born 4 October 1888, Hopkins County, Texas; died 29 April 1960, Austin, Travis, Texas; married Corrie Lee Acuff, 23 December 1916, Lubbock County, Texas. She was born 3 November 1894, Texas; died 26 April 1981. Both are buried at Austin Memorial Park Cemetery. They had two children, one son and one daughter.Children:
1. Modell, born 12 November 1917; died 14 August 2014, Austin, Travis, Texas; married James Clovis Ballard (1915-1977). They had one son who predeceased his mother. However, the son left survivors.
2. Joe Clifford, born 24 November 1919, Lubbock County, Texas; died 12 December 1970, Austin, Travis, Texas; married Alice Mae Clark (13 September 1922-17 January 1991). It is noted that Alice was a wife and mother, but no information is available about any child/children.
That finishes the descendants of Joseph Addison Brasher and Permelia Jane Armstrong. If you are descended from this couple, I would love to share information with you. Please leave a comment.