Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: Ellen’s Questions – Part 4

July is flying by and Saturday has made yet another appearance so it is time for Randy Seaver’s Saturday Night Genealogy Fun:

1)  Ellen Thompson-Jennings posted 20 questions on her Hound on the Hunt blog three weeks ago – see Even More Questions About Your Ancestors and Maybe A Few About You (posted 27 June). 

2)  We will do these five at a time – Questions 16 to 20 tonight (we did 1 through 5 three weeks ago, questions 6 through 10 two weeks ago, and questions 11 through 15 last week)

3)  Tell us about it in your own blog post, in a comment on this post, or in a Facebook post.

Ellen’s last five questions for us:

16. If you’re into DNA which would you say you work on more? Genealogy or DNA? Or about the same?
17. Do you think that your genealogy is ever really done?
18. Did you ever search an ancestor’s name on the internet and you were surprised at what you found?
19. Do you ever feel like your ancestors are nudging you in the right direction in your research?
20. If you could give one piece of advice to someone new to genealogy, what would you tell them?

And my five final answers:

16. I am not really into DNA since I have no research question at the moment that would benefit from test results. Genealogy all the way!
17. No. That sums it up.
18. Yes, many times, but 90% of those times the information was garbage. The other 10% brought some fun new information that was actually documented.
19. Yes. I am sure that back in 2011, Grandmother was up there telling me it was time to get going on her Danish brick wall. I hadn’t thought about working that line for years, but at 10:00 p.m. (way past my bedtime), I wondered what the Danish Archives had on offer. The free, digitized 1850 census broke through my 30+ year brick wall. By the way, I was still digging through all the information at 2:00 a.m.!
20. Do your own work and use a software program on your own computer to store the data. Sharing and collaborating are wonderful, but there is so much outright junk online today that if you don’t collect, verify and document your work, it is likely that some of that junk will end up in your family tree.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.