Two days ago, I shared updated information about Loyalist Walter Stewart, my 4X great grandfather after making contact with a Canadian cousin, Richard Thorne.
Not only has Richard graciously given permission to share his research, but I’ve been able to add a bit more about some of Walter’s children and grandchildren.
Walter married (3) Althea Wetmore Craft, widow of Reuben Craft between 1801, when Reuben died, and 1804, the tentative birth year of their first known child.
Althea was reportedly born 19 May 1771, Rye, Westchester, New York; died 23 July 1834, Kings County, New Brunswick, Canada. I don’t know the source of her birth and death dates. However, her death date may well have come from the same Hampston Anglican Church record as that of her husband, Walter.
1. Elizabeth Ann, born c1804; last reported child born in 1848, so she died sometime after that birth; married William Wetmore, 7 June 1823, Kings County, New Brunswick, Canada. Unfortunately, 1851 census records for Saint John, New Brunswick are missing, as are the 1861 returns. William reportedly was born 4 September 1795 and died 3 December 1853 in Saint John.
2. Charles – I can’t find a source for including this child, but he apparently died young. Not found in the 1851 census.
3. Caleb James, born c1809; died 7 February 1878. He went by James; married Amy S. Golding, 13 November 1830, New Brunswick, Canada. She was born c1812; died 19 March 1859, aged about 47 years old.
4. Deborah Catherine, born c1810; died after 1871 census; married George Puddington, 16 May 1823, Kingston, Kings New Brunswick, Canada. He was born 19 June 1805; died after 1871 census. Both are last found in the 1871 census of Norton, Kings, New Brunswick, Canada (Source: Library Archives Canada online).
5. Esther Susannah; born c1807 based on 1871 census, but 3 April 1815 per gravestone in Anglican Church Cemetery, Woodstock, Carleton, New Brunswick, Canada; died 29 August 1908, Carleton, New Brunswick, Canada; married Thomas William Golding, 13 January 1835. He was born 14 April 1810; died 11 June 1886, per gravestone at Anglican Church Cemetery, Carleton, New Brunswick, Canada; baptized 29 April 1814.
6. Althea Jane W., born c1813; married (1) William Branscombe, 5 April 1841. He was born c1813; died before 1861 census; (2) David Ross, before 1861 census, when Lavinia and John Branscombe, ages 19 and 14, are living in the Ross home. Althea went by Jane.
Stay tuned for greatly expanded information on the grandchildren of Loyalist Walter Stewart.