Thank you to all those who went before us, bettering working conditions, improving on-the-job safety and banning child labor.
Little known Labor Day trivia:
- An Irish cabinet maker, Peter McGuire, is called the Father of the Labor Day holiday, calling for a day to honor all workers way back on 18 May 1882.
- A few months later, on 5 September 1882, 10,000 men, mostly members of the Central Labor Union, marched in a parade in New York City.
- Australia, Canada, Jamaica and New Zealand are a few of the other countries that celebrate an official Labor Day.
- In 1839, the first union newspaper, The Rat Gazette, was published. A rat was a spy for bosses.
- American spend, on average, 100 hours per year commuting to and from work!