James Sweet was born c1630, probably in Wales, the son of John Sweet and Mary (MNU). As James’s father died when James was about 7 and his mother married (2) Ezekiel Holliman, he and his brother and sister were raised mostly by their stepfather.
James married Mary Greene, daughter of Dr. John Greene and Joan Tatarsole c1654. Mary was baptized on 19 May 1633 at St. Thomas Salisbury, Wiltshire, England. James died after 1695, probably in Kingstown, Washington, Rhode Island.
James and Mary had a large family of nine children, but some may have died in childhood.
- Philip, born 15 July 1655, Warwick, Kent, Rhode Island; died after 8 November 1686 when his father deeded Providence lands to him; married Elizabeth (MNU). Philip lived at Prudence Island in 1686.
- James, born 8 May 1657, Warwick, Kent, Rhode Island; died after 8 November 1686 when his father deeded Providence lands to him; married (1) Hannah (MNU) (2) Mary Pearce Hill, widow of Robert Hill
- Mary, born 2 February 1659, Warwick, Kent, Rhode Island; died 1746; married Enoch Place of Kingstown, Washington, Rhode Island
- Benoni, born 28 March 1663, Warwick, Kent, Rhode Island; died 19 June 1751, North Kingstown, Washington, Rhode Island; married Elizabeth (MNU). Benoni also received land in the 1686 deed from his father.
- Valentine, born 14 February 1665, Providence, Providence, Rhode Island; died after 8 November 1686; married Eleanor (MNU). Valentine also received land from his father in the 1686 land deed.
- Samuel, born 1 November 1667, Providence, Providence, Rhode Island; died 26 November 1728, North Kingstown, Washington, Rhode Island
- Jeremiah, born 6 January 1668/69, Providence, Providence, Rhode Island; no further record
- Renewed, born 18 July 1671, Providence, Providence, Rhode Island; no further record
- Sylvester, born 1 March 1673/74, Providence, Providence, Rhode Island; died c1763, possibly in Newport, Rhode Island; married Sarah Tew
James was made a Warwick freeman in 1655. He also served as a Warwick commissioner in 1653, 1658 and 1659. He also moved several times as he lived in Portsmouth 1681, Prudence Island 1686, Warwick 1683 and Kingstown in 1686.
My line of descent:
James Sweet & Mary Greene
Valentine Sweet & Eleanor (MNU)
Mary Sweet & Samuel Boone
Samuel Boone & Mary Wightman
William Boone & Ruth Hill
Mary Boone & Richard Jones
Rebecca Jones & Peter Crouse
Sarah Moriah Crouse & William Coleman
Hartwell Thomas Coleman & Anna Elisabetha Jensen
Hazel Ethel Coleman & Vernon Tarbox Adams
Doris Priscilla Adams & George Michael Sabo
Linda Anne Sabo Stufflebean – me!
3 thoughts on “James Sweet & Mary Greene of Rhode Island”
Hi Linda. I came across this post while working on a Tew Family Genealogy (which is consuming my time now and takes me away from my blogging). I was working on Sarah Tew, who is a sister of my ancestor Richard. Austen’s 100 Allied Families has Sarah marrying Sylvester and the fact they had a son Sylvester in 1719. No b. or d. for Sarah, but her husband’s birth as 3/1/1674. I’m wondering it you have any more info on this couple or their son and any sources for the info?
my children have more family from their father’s side in Rhode Island/Providence area than I do. I just have Dyer and Sowell, who are more Tiverton. My children’s line is: James Sweet and Mary Greene, their daughter Mary Sweet who married Samuel Boone, their daughter Freelove Boone who married David Vaughn, their son Edward Vaughn who married Elizabeth Meeker, their son Richard Vaughn who married Isabel Seeley; by then they had moved to New York, and then Wisconsin by 1852; their son Edward Vaughn married Mary Lewis, their son Charles moved to San Diego, his daughter Kate was my father-in-law’s mother. So we have been in California ever since. I am more interested in the early days of Rhode Island.
What a find, I’m a Sweet and can trace back to John and Marry; James, Benoni, James, James, John, Benedict, Sumner to Alvin Benedict Sweet who relocated from Wisconsin to Oklahoma in the early 1900’s