It’s that time again!
Randy Seaver has issued the latest challenge for Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: Where were your ancestors in 1900?
One of my grandparents, Hazel Ethel Coleman, wasn’t yet born (she made her appearance on 7 February 1901), but beginning with my other three grandparents, here are the ancestors:
1.My paternal grandfather, George Kucharik (1893-1936) had just moved to Passaic, New Jersey, from Delano, Pennsylvania, where he lived on First Street with his parents and siblings.
2. My paternal grandmother, Julia Scerbak (1893-1985), although born in Passaic, was living in Udol, Slovakia in 1900. Her parents decided to move back home about 1897.
3. My maternal grandfather, Vernon Tarbox Adams (1899-1968) was living on Germain Street in Calais, Maine with his family.
4. My paternal great grandparents, Stephen Kucharik (1855-1933) and Mary Kacsenyak (1859-1926) were living on First Street, Passaic, New Jersey.
5. My second set of paternal great grandparents, Michael Scerbak (1868-1932) and Anna Murcko (1872-1967) were living in Udol, Slovakia. The village is so small that there were no street addresses.
6. My maternal great grandparents, Charles Adams (1877-1922) and Annie Maude Stuart (1874-1940) were living on Germain Street in Calais, Maine.
7. My second set of maternal great grandparents, Hartwell Thomas Coleman (1868-1938) and Anna Elisabeth Jensen (1872-1916) were living on Main Street, Calais, Maine.
My 2X great grandparents, John Kucharik and Maria Repka, both died before 1900.
8. My paternal 2X great grandparents Michael Kacsenyak (1834-1899+) and Anna Haluska (1832-1899+) were, if living, in Vysna Sebastova, Slovakia, which is another small village. The burial records there end in 1899 and they were not in them up through the end of that year.
9. My paternal 2X great grandparents John Scerbak (1836-1916) and Maria Patorai (1839-1912) were living in Udol, Slovakia.
10. My paternal 2X great grandparents John Murcko (1831-1917) and maria Szova (1845-1925) were living in Hajtovka, Slovakia, an even smaller village than Udol.
11. My maternal 2X great grandparents Calvin Segee Adams (1843-1921) and Nellie F. Tarbox (1856-1927) were living on Germain Street, Calais, Maine. This was a blended family with three generations squished in there!
12. My maternal 2X great grandmother, Elida Ann Hicks Stuart (1833-1914) was living in Meddybemps, Maine. Her husband Charles Stuart, had died in 1894.
13. My maternal 2X great grandparents William Coleman (1834-1905) and Sarah Moriah Crouse (1833-1930) were living on Main Street, Calais, Maine, also in a blended household.
14. My maternal 2X great grandfather Frits Wille Oscar Emil Jensen (1845-1920) was living on Main Street, Calais, Maine, in yet another multi-generational family home. His wife, Margarethe, had died in 1890.
A handful of my 3X greats lived into the 1890s, but none made it to 1900.
Thanks, Randy, for a fun topic.