1917 Card from Bertha of Paris, ME to
May Ella Stinson of Richmond, ME
Source: My personal collection
Did you know:
- 36 million heart-shaped boxes of chocolates are sold each year for Valentine’s Day?
- Chocolate has been thought of to be an elixir for love and was even “prescribed” by doctors in the 1800s!
- Caramel-flavored chocolates are the modern-day favorites, according to some surveys.
- American chocolate manufacturers use about 3 1/2 million gallons of milk
- Over 50% of U.S. adults prefer chocolate to any other flavor.
- One chocolate chip provides enough energy to walk 150 feet.
- The word “chocolate” comes from the Aztec word “xocolatl,” which means “bitter water.” Our chocolate is sweetened with lots of sugar.
- More than 40,000 Americans are employed by chocolate companies.
- 75% of Valentine’s Day candy purchases are of chocolate.
- Candy purchases for Valentine’s Day rank fourth, after Halloween, Easter and Christmas.
Happy Valentine’s Day and Don’t Eat Too Much Chocolate!