William Williams was the youngest of the children of Matthias Williams Senior and his wife, Jean/Jane of Cumberland County, Virginia. More is known about this family than that of his siblings for the simple fact that there is a surviving family Bible. However, this Williams family had a real penchant for living in what became severe burned counties, as William’s final destination was Marion County, Tennessee, which lost most of its records in a 1922 fire.
William was born c1760-65, probably in Cumberland County, Virginia. He died between 1830-40, probably in Marion County, Tennessee. William married Judith Saunders before 12 Nov 1788, Cumberland County, VA. Their marriage bond is only dated by the name of the governor, fixing the date as noted above. Judith was born c1765, Virginia and died after 1850, probably Marion County, where she lived with her daughter, Nancy. Her parents or possible siblings have not been identified. William bought land in Marion Co. in 1825 and Shiloh Church minutes in Roane County show that the petition of one William Williams for a letter of dismission on 26 March 1825 was granted so the Williams family apparently made their way from Roane County down to the Tennessee-Alabama border in the spring of 1825.
No military record has been found for William relating to the American Revolution. He might have been just a bit too young to serve or, passing away after 1830, he might not have lived long enough or felt the need to apply for any pension after the 1832 pension act was passed.
William and Judith were the parents of eleven children, most of whom lived to adulthood.
- Henrietta, born 3 October 1789, probably Cumberland County, Virginia; died before 15 December 1836, probably Marion County, Tennessee. She married Matthew Pryor, 22 Sept 1808, Roane County, Tennessee. He was born 8 Feb 1787, North Carolina and died 12 June 1869 at Red Hill, near Whitwell, also in Marion County. Henrietta and Matthew had fourteen children, the last born about 1836 and who died young, according to family lore. That 14th children might just have worn out Henrietta. Matthew and Henrietta have many descendants.
- Sarah, born 12 February 1790, probably Cumberland County, Virginia. She died after 1870, probably Texas County, Missouri; married William Pryor, c1808, possibly in Anderson County, Tennessee. William was born c1785, North Carolina and died after 1870, probably in Texas County, Missouri. This family removed to Texas and Webster Cos., MO. William was the brother of John Henry and Matthew Pryor, who also married Williams sisters. Sarah and William had two sons and a daughter and have descendants today.
- Sterling, born 27 Oct 1792, probably Cumberland County, Virginia; died after 1860, probably Hot Spring County, Arkansas. He married Polly Cobb, 20 July 1821, in Roane County, Tennessee. Sterling and Polly had ten children and have descendants today.
- Elizabeth, born 1 December 1794, probably Cumberland County, Virginia. No other information has been found relating to her.
- Harriet, born 18 December 1796, probably Cumberland County, Virginia. Harriet died in May 1868, Marion County, Tennessee. She married John Henry Pryor, 1 Aug 1817, Roane County, Tennessee. He was born c1796, probably in North Carolina and died 1844, reportedly in Hamilton County, Tennessee. Harriet and John had twelve children and have numerous descendants.
- John, born 13 December1798, probably Cumberland County, Virginia; died 9 July 1862, Hot Spring County, Arkansas; married Lucy Ann Moore, c1825, probably Marion County, Tennessee. She was born 22 July 1808, Tennessee; died 12 May 1869, Hot Spring County, Arkansas. She was possibly the daughter of John Moore who lived next door to John Williams in Marion County, Tennessee in 1830. Both John and Lucy are buried at Lono Cemetery, Hot Spring County, Arkansas. They also had twelve children and have many descendants.
- Paul M. , born 23 August 1801, probably Cumberland County, Virginia; died 1830-40, possibly in Marion County, Tennessee. He married Mary Davis, c1827, probably in Marion County. She was born 19 Dec 1807, Tennessee; died 7 Dec 1888, Morgan County, Tennessee. She married (2) Noah Stonecipher. He was born 26 Feb 1804, North Carolina; died 8 July 1875, Morgan County, Tennessee. Paul and Mary had two known sons – Henry, who died at Molino del Rey in 1848 during the Mexican War, unmarried and with no known children and William M., who married Mary Dow Stonecipher in 1849, who does have descendants.
- Matthias, born 13 December 1803, probably Cumberland County, Virginia; died after 1880 and likely is the pauper “Mt. Williams” who died in Roane County, Tennessee and buried there on 4 December 1884. Matthias married (1) Rebecca Davison, 21 Nov 1825 in Roane County. She was born c1807, probably Tennessee; died 1840-1850, probably also in Roane County. (2) Millie A.E. (Lizzie) Shackelford, 30 Aug 1855 in Roane County. She was born c1835, Tennessee; died after 1900, probably in Roane County. Matthias had fourteen children between his two wives and has many descendants.
- Nancy, born 17 December 1806, either Anderson or Roane County, Tennessee; died 2 Mar 1883 in Marion County. Nancy never married, but had at least one daughter, Mary Williams Slatten, born 1842 and died in 1916, who married Wade Hampton Slatten, born 1847; died 1888. It looks like she may have had a second, so far unidentified daughter, based on early census records.
- William Alexander, born 15 January 1808, probably Roane County, Tennessee; died 12 Dec 1866, probably Lafayette County, Arkansas. He married Hepsabeth Davidson, perhaps a sister of Rebecca Davison, who married his brother, Matthias, on 9 October 1828, probably in Marion County, Tennessee. Hepsabeth’s parents and siblings have never been identified.
- Mary, born 24 Feb 1810, probably Roane County, Tennessee; died 22 Nov 1891, probably Marion County, Tennessee. Mary married her eldest sister Henrietta’s widower, Matthew Pryor, widower of her sister, Henrietta on 15 Dec 1836, probably in Marion County. Matthew, who already had fourteen children with Henrietta, went on to have eight more with second wife, Mary.
This family has zillions of descendants. Please leave a comment if you are one of them!