The weeks seem to be flying by lately and we have reached yet another weekend. Randy Seaver’s Saturday Genealogy Night Fun challenge is to complete Mary Harrell-Sesniak’s Rootin’ Tootin’ True Confessions of Genealogists: Fun Quiz on the Genealogy Bank blog.
I took the easy way out to answer the 50 questions by cutting and pasting (which for some reason changed the numbers to bullet dots) and then answered “yes” in blue and “no” in red, keeping in the Independence Day weekend colors.
Here are my answers:
- __Gone to sleep reciting details about ancestors?
- __Photographed more than 20 tombstones?
- __Had an ancestral chart, family photo, coat of arms, ship of immigration (or similar) professionally printed or framed?
- __Figured out your kinship to someone famous?
- __Solved a stranger’s dead-end mystery for free?
- __Considered consulting a psychic about genealogy?
- __Taken a selfie in a graveyard or hugged a tombstone?
- __Probed the ground or used a divining rod to locate a missing tombstone?
- __Written your own obituary?
- __Created a birth, marriage or death notice (obit) for an ancestor who didn’t have one?
- __Eschewed the sunshine for valuable library/research time (or met the dawn while tracing your family tree)?
- __Celebrated a birthday, marriage or commemorative event of a deceased forebear?
- __Rescued (i.e., purchased) photos, medals or similar objects of someone not related to you?
- __Reunited lost artifacts with living relatives?
- __Centered a vacation around genealogy?
- __Traveled to meet a newly discovered cousin whom you met through genealogy research?
- __Tested your DNA?
- __Paid for others to get their DNA tested?
- __Worn clothing (t-shirts, jackets, hats) emblazoned with genealogy surnames, slogans, society names, etc.?
- __Upon their leaving the nest, converted your child’s bedroom (or personal space) into a genealogy room?
- __Spent more on genealogy in a month than groceries?
- __Collected odd records in the name of genealogy (for example, taxes)?
- __Added margin notations in books (error corrections, enhanced details)?
- __Mapped a forebear’s traipsings?
- __Traveled more than 100 miles for research (library, court house)?
- __Purchased something that belonged to an ancestor or that has his/her name on it (photo albums, homesteads, lineage society pins)?
- __Participated in a reenactment related to your ancestry?
- __Made something to commemorate genealogy (historical costumes, paraphernalia, needlepoint or model of an immigrant ship, painting, genealogy quilt)?
- __Joined more than five lineage or genealogy societies?
- __Overlaid an ancestor’s photo on that of a living person to identify a doppelganger (look-alike)?
- __Downloaded, emailed or shared genealogy jokes?
- __Purchased a book with only a small reference to your ancestry (100 words)?
- __Mentioned genealogy in your will?
- __Studied old handwriting or consulted with a handwriting expert so that you can read old documents?
- __Made a gen-tote of gadgets for on-the-go projects (portable scanning, grave cleaning, flash drives, notepads, acid free gloves)?
- __Taken a handful of dirt or a stone from a place significant to your ancestry?
- __Diverted a mealtime conversation to genealogy?
- __Initiated conversations about ancestry with complete strangers (outside of a genealogy setting)?
- __Researched the genealogy of complete strangers?
- __Transcribed an old document, or more than 500 genealogy records?
- __Joined a dozen or more social media genealogy groups?
- __Created a genealogy blog or a public tree (online)?
- __Published a family history book or distributed genealogy folders amongst the relatives?
- __Programmed gen-destinations (court houses, cemeteries) into your GPS?
- __Taken genealogy courses with the intention of receiving a certificate or other form of recognition?
- __Paid to attend genealogy conferences?
- __Searched surnames on eBay?
- __Scoured thrift or resale shops for genealogical finds?
- __Trespassed in the name of genealogy?
- __Dined anywhere but your dining table to avoid disturbing a genealogy project?
50 points – You are awarded the “Rootin’ Tootin’” Genealogy Award!
40-49 – Hopelessly Hooked Family Historian Award
30-39 – Up and Coming Genealogist Award
20-29 – You Probably Took This Quiz Out of Guilt Award
Under 20 – You Need to Find Another Hobby Award
I earned 40/50 points, which earned me the Hopelessly Hooked Family Historian Award. Was I surprised? Not at all!