Last November, I wrote a post about books I would consider essential for my at-home genealogy reference library. Here are several more that would make my list.
1. How to Archive Family Keepsakes: Learn How to Preserve Family Photos, Memorabilia and Genealogy Records, Denise May Levenick, Family Tree Books, 2012.
2. Land & Property Research in the United States, E. Wade Hone, Ancestry Inc., 1997.
3. Bringing Your Family History to Life through Social History by Katherine Scott Sturdevant, Betterway, 2000.
4. The Researcher’s Guide to American Genealogy, 3rd Edition, Val D. Greenwood, Genealogical Publishing Company, 2000.
Books on my November List:
5. The Source: A Guidebook to American Genealogy, 3rd Edition by Loretto Dennis Szucs and Sandra Hargreaves Luebking, Ancestry Inc, 2006.
6. Evidence Explained: Citing History Sources from Artifacts to Cyberspace, 3rd Edition by Elizabeth Shown Mills, Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2015. (UPDATED)
7. Map Guide to the U.S. Federal Censuses by William Dollarhide, Genealogical Publishing Co., 1995.
8. Courthouse Research for the Family Historian: Your Guide to Genealogical Treasures by Christine Rose, CR Publications, 2004.
9. The Family Tree Problem Solver: Tried-and-True Tactics for Tracing Elusive Ancestors by Marsha Hoffman Rising, Family Tree Books, updated in 2011.
10. Genealogical Proof Standard: Building a Solid Case by Christine Rose, CR Publications, 2009.
11. Professional Genealogy: A Manuel for Researchers, Writers, Editors, Lecturers and Librarians by Elizabeth Shown Mills, Genealogical Publishing Co., 2001
12. 19th Century Card Photos Kwik Guide by Gary W. Clark, PhotoTree.com, 2013.
In addition to these twelve books, I would suggest that a genealogist consider another 5 or 6 books based on specialty areas, such as ethnic research, online resources (for the beginner), locale specific research and research tips for outside the U.S.
Most of the books on this list can be purchased online. check the publisher websites for discounts and used books online in very good or excellent condition.